USU soccer: Jennifer Flynn named USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Utah State soccer junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn was named American First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week for the period ending on Sunday, Oct. 7 in an award that is voted on by a state-wide media panel.
This was the first time this season a soccer player earned USU Athlete of the Week honors.
Flynn (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State win a pair of Western Athletic Conference home matches this weekend with wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). Against the Roadrunners, Flynn scored her fourth goal of the season and then added her fifth goal of the year against the Bobcats.
Flynn was also named College Sports Madness WAC Player of the Week for her efforts in leading the Aggies to two home wins. Utah State is now 7-2-6 overall and 2-0-2 in WAC action.
The Aggies hit the road this week for a pair of WAC matches. Utah State travels to second-place Seattle on Friday, Oct. 12 and Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Nominees from other sports for USU Student-Athlete of the Week included:
FOOTBALL – Redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (Mesa, Ariz.) had 10 tackles (4-solo, 6-assist) to go along with his first career interception that he returned 8 yards in Utah State’s 6-3 loss at BYU.
VOLLEYBALL – Sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn VanHoff (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State to a pair of Western Athletic Conference home wins last weekend against New Mexico State (3-0) and Denver (3-2). Against NMSU, VanHoff set a career-high with a .333 attack percentage (8-2-18) as she had eight kills and seven total blocks. She then tied a career-high for the third time this season with 10 block assists against DU to go along with eight more kills. For the week, VanHoff hit .300 (16-4-40) and averaged 2.12 blocks and 2.00 kills per set.
2012-13 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 27 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Sept. 3 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 10 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 17 - Tanner Higham, Golf
Sept. 24 - Kerwynn Williams, Football
Oct. 1 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Oct. 8 - Jennifer Flynn, Soccer
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33