USU soccer: Jennifer Flynn named USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Utah State soccer junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn was named American First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week for the period ending on Sunday, Oct. 7 in an award that is voted on by a state-wide media panel.
This was the first time this season a soccer player earned USU Athlete of the Week honors.
Flynn (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State win a pair of Western Athletic Conference home matches this weekend with wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). Against the Roadrunners, Flynn scored her fourth goal of the season and then added her fifth goal of the year against the Bobcats.
Flynn was also named College Sports Madness WAC Player of the Week for her efforts in leading the Aggies to two home wins. Utah State is now 7-2-6 overall and 2-0-2 in WAC action.
The Aggies hit the road this week for a pair of WAC matches. Utah State travels to second-place Seattle on Friday, Oct. 12 and Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Nominees from other sports for USU Student-Athlete of the Week included:
FOOTBALL – Redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (Mesa, Ariz.) had 10 tackles (4-solo, 6-assist) to go along with his first career interception that he returned 8 yards in Utah State’s 6-3 loss at BYU.
VOLLEYBALL – Sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn VanHoff (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State to a pair of Western Athletic Conference home wins last weekend against New Mexico State (3-0) and Denver (3-2). Against NMSU, VanHoff set a career-high with a .333 attack percentage (8-2-18) as she had eight kills and seven total blocks. She then tied a career-high for the third time this season with 10 block assists against DU to go along with eight more kills. For the week, VanHoff hit .300 (16-4-40) and averaged 2.12 blocks and 2.00 kills per set.
2012-13 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 27 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Sept. 3 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 10 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 17 - Tanner Higham, Golf
Sept. 24 - Kerwynn Williams, Football
Oct. 1 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Oct. 8 - Jennifer Flynn, Soccer
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25