USU soccer: Jennifer Flynn named USU Student-Athlete of the Week
Utah State soccer junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn was named American First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete of the Week for the period ending on Sunday, Oct. 7 in an award that is voted on by a state-wide media panel.
This was the first time this season a soccer player earned USU Athlete of the Week honors.
Flynn (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State win a pair of Western Athletic Conference home matches this weekend with wins against UTSA (3-0) and Texas State (4-0). Against the Roadrunners, Flynn scored her fourth goal of the season and then added her fifth goal of the year against the Bobcats.
Flynn was also named College Sports Madness WAC Player of the Week for her efforts in leading the Aggies to two home wins. Utah State is now 7-2-6 overall and 2-0-2 in WAC action.
The Aggies hit the road this week for a pair of WAC matches. Utah State travels to second-place Seattle on Friday, Oct. 12 and Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14.
Nominees from other sports for USU Student-Athlete of the Week included:
FOOTBALL – Redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (Mesa, Ariz.) had 10 tackles (4-solo, 6-assist) to go along with his first career interception that he returned 8 yards in Utah State’s 6-3 loss at BYU.
VOLLEYBALL – Sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn VanHoff (Draper, Utah) helped Utah State to a pair of Western Athletic Conference home wins last weekend against New Mexico State (3-0) and Denver (3-2). Against NMSU, VanHoff set a career-high with a .333 attack percentage (8-2-18) as she had eight kills and seven total blocks. She then tied a career-high for the third time this season with 10 block assists against DU to go along with eight more kills. For the week, VanHoff hit .300 (16-4-40) and averaged 2.12 blocks and 2.00 kills per set.
2012-13 Utah State Athlete of the Week Winners
Aug. 27 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Sept. 3 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 10 - Chuckie Keeton, Football
Sept. 17 - Tanner Higham, Golf
Sept. 24 - Kerwynn Williams, Football
Oct. 1 - Josselyn White, Volleyball
Oct. 8 - Jennifer Flynn, Soccer
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41