Blue roundup: Like BYU, Oregon State will also be without its starting QB on Saturday
While BYU has lost Taysom Hill for the season due to a knee injury, No. 10 Oregon State, which visits Provo on Saturday, is dealing with its own quarterback changes.
Starter Sean Mannion is out with a knee injury, and Cody Vaz will replace him in the lineup.
"One of the best young quarterbacks in the country, Mannion’s improvement this season has played a huge role in OSU’s 4-0 start (3-0 Pac-12)," wrote Lindsay Schnell of the Oregonian. "His best performance of the season came two weeks ago when he threw for a career-high 433 yards and three touchdowns in a come-from-behind 38-35 win at Arizona. A year after taking his lumps as a freshman, Mannion had blossomed in Riley’s offense this season, and had established himself as one of the best quarterbacks in the Pac-12. Through four games he had completed 107-of-169 attempts for 1,358 yards and seven touchdowns, an average of almost 340 yards per game. Now the focus shifts to Cody Vaz, a 6-foot, 198-pound junior who hasn’t taken a live snap in more than two years"
Oregon State's defense is looking forward to playing BYU's style of offense.
BYU quarterback Riley Nelson talks about his health and returning to the field this week.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33