Utah Jazz fall to Golden State Warriors in preseason opener, 83-80
OAKLAND, Calif. — One of Tyrone Corbin's goals for Monday's preseason opener was to get a lot of players minutes.
In that regard, the Utah Jazz's game against the Golden State Warriors was a big success — regardless of what the scoreboard read.
Thirteen players saw action, with 11 guys logging double digits, for the Jazz in their 83-80 loss at Oracle Arena.
Utah had a chance to send the game into overtime after digging out of a 16-point second-half hole, but an off-balanced Randy Foye 3-point attempt bounced off the rim in the waning seconds.
Mo Williams, Gordon Hayward, Marvin Williams, Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson took to the court first, ending the early camp mystery about Corbin's starting lineup choice.
That group helped the Jazz take a 21-19 lead after one quarter, but the reloaded Warriors stormed ahead by double digits thanks to the likes of David Lee (19 points) and Brandon Rush (14).
Marvin Williams and Millsap led Utah with 13 points apiece, although none of the starters played more than 22 minutes.
Utah led 21-19 after the first quarter but was outscored by 11 in the second half as most of the starters sat.
Mo Williams effectively scored early on, leading Utah with seven points in 10 minutes. The returned Jazz player finished with 11 points, six assists and three rebounds.
The Jazz reserves helped the team scrape back into the game. The group of Jamaal Tinsley, Alec Burks, DeMarre Carroll, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter played particularly well together, giving Utah that last shot.
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Presto! Utah Jazz pull a magical 2nd win out...
- Brad Rock: Utes now look at bowl pairing from...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes 24