OAKLAND, Calif. — One of Tyrone Corbin's goals for Monday's preseason opener was to get a lot of players minutes.
In that regard, the Utah Jazz's game against the Golden State Warriors was a big success — regardless of what the scoreboard read.
Thirteen players saw action, with 11 guys logging double digits, for the Jazz in their 83-80 loss at Oracle Arena.
Utah had a chance to send the game into overtime after digging out of a 16-point second-half hole, but an off-balanced Randy Foye 3-point attempt bounced off the rim in the waning seconds.
Mo Williams, Gordon Hayward, Marvin Williams, Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson took to the court first, ending the early camp mystery about Corbin's starting lineup choice.
That group helped the Jazz take a 21-19 lead after one quarter, but the reloaded Warriors stormed ahead by double digits thanks to the likes of David Lee (19 points) and Brandon Rush (14).
Marvin Williams and Millsap led Utah with 13 points apiece, although none of the starters played more than 22 minutes.
Utah led 21-19 after the first quarter but was outscored by 11 in the second half as most of the starters sat.
Mo Williams effectively scored early on, leading Utah with seven points in 10 minutes. The returned Jazz player finished with 11 points, six assists and three rebounds.
The Jazz reserves helped the team scrape back into the game. The group of Jamaal Tinsley, Alec Burks, DeMarre Carroll, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter played particularly well together, giving Utah that last shot.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Doug Robinson: It's about time golf took a...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 17
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named... 7