LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The BYU women’s golf team finished the first day of the Price’s “Give ‘Em Five” Intercollegiate tied in ninth place after a strong performance from junior Selu Fotu.
Competing in her first team tournament of the fall season, Fotu shot an even-par 72. She had three birdies on the day to finish tied for eighth overall in the individual standings, three strokes behind the leader.
“We had a solid performance from Selu,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “We are just a few shots out of the top five, so if we can just put on a good round tomorrow then we’ll be right there.”
Freshman Lea Garner also had a strong day for the Cougars, struggling early on before finding her game midway through the first round. Garner birdied three straight holes and finished the day shooting a 75 (+3).
Junior Annika Kahaiali’i currently stands tied for 31st after shooting a first-round 76 (+4) and senior Amanda Keith is tied for 62nd after a first-round 80 (+8).
BYU looks to improve upon its current ninth place standing trailing fourth place Colorado State and Nevada by six strokes.
Live stats of tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26