LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The BYU women’s golf team finished the first day of the Price’s “Give ‘Em Five” Intercollegiate tied in ninth place after a strong performance from junior Selu Fotu.
Competing in her first team tournament of the fall season, Fotu shot an even-par 72. She had three birdies on the day to finish tied for eighth overall in the individual standings, three strokes behind the leader.
“We had a solid performance from Selu,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “We are just a few shots out of the top five, so if we can just put on a good round tomorrow then we’ll be right there.”
Freshman Lea Garner also had a strong day for the Cougars, struggling early on before finding her game midway through the first round. Garner birdied three straight holes and finished the day shooting a 75 (+3).
Junior Annika Kahaiali’i currently stands tied for 31st after shooting a first-round 76 (+4) and senior Amanda Keith is tied for 62nd after a first-round 80 (+8).
BYU looks to improve upon its current ninth place standing trailing fourth place Colorado State and Nevada by six strokes.
Live stats of tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 85
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50