LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The BYU women’s golf team finished the first day of the Price’s “Give ‘Em Five” Intercollegiate tied in ninth place after a strong performance from junior Selu Fotu.
Competing in her first team tournament of the fall season, Fotu shot an even-par 72. She had three birdies on the day to finish tied for eighth overall in the individual standings, three strokes behind the leader.
“We had a solid performance from Selu,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “We are just a few shots out of the top five, so if we can just put on a good round tomorrow then we’ll be right there.”
Freshman Lea Garner also had a strong day for the Cougars, struggling early on before finding her game midway through the first round. Garner birdied three straight holes and finished the day shooting a 75 (+3).
Junior Annika Kahaiali’i currently stands tied for 31st after shooting a first-round 76 (+4) and senior Amanda Keith is tied for 62nd after a first-round 80 (+8).
BYU looks to improve upon its current ninth place standing trailing fourth place Colorado State and Nevada by six strokes.
Live stats of tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 16
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 12
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7