LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The BYU women’s golf team finished the first day of the Price’s “Give ‘Em Five” Intercollegiate tied in ninth place after a strong performance from junior Selu Fotu.
Competing in her first team tournament of the fall season, Fotu shot an even-par 72. She had three birdies on the day to finish tied for eighth overall in the individual standings, three strokes behind the leader.
“We had a solid performance from Selu,” head coach Carrie Roberts said. “We are just a few shots out of the top five, so if we can just put on a good round tomorrow then we’ll be right there.”
Freshman Lea Garner also had a strong day for the Cougars, struggling early on before finding her game midway through the first round. Garner birdied three straight holes and finished the day shooting a 75 (+3).
Junior Annika Kahaiali’i currently stands tied for 31st after shooting a first-round 76 (+4) and senior Amanda Keith is tied for 62nd after a first-round 80 (+8).
BYU looks to improve upon its current ninth place standing trailing fourth place Colorado State and Nevada by six strokes.
Live stats of tournament action can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 101
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26