BYU golf: Keiley and Tebbs in top ten, team in second place after day one
DUBLIN, Ohio – In its first ever appearance at the Jack Nicklaus Invitational, the BYU men’s golf team is tied for second place after a solid team effort in round one.
Junior Justin Keiley and senior Adam Tebbs led the way for the Cougars both finishing in the top ten individual rankings. Keiley was consistent throughout the day, converting three birdies to shoot a 73 (+1). He is currently tied for fourth place, three strokes behind the leader.
Tebbs also had a solid performance shooting a two-over-par 74. He led the team with five birdies and currently stands tied for seventh.
“Our guys came out and just hit some great shots right off the bat,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “For Justin and Adam to shoot 73 and 74 really helped us today.”
Senior Zac Blair got off to a slow start in the tournament’s opening round shooting three double bogeys in his first seven holes but turned things around hitting four birdies in a five hole span. Blair finished the day at six-over-par, tied for 28th. Sophomore Mike Jurca currently stands tied for 23rd after shooting a five-over-par 77.
BYU is currently in front of three top-25 teams – Arkansas, UNLV and Kent State – on the Golf World/Nike Golf Coaches’ Poll and trails leader Oklahoma State by seven strokes.
“We made some decent putts today,” Brockbank said. “If we can do that tomorrow it will be an exciting finish for us."
The 54-hole tournament was officially trimmed downed to 36 holes after frost delayed this morning’s starting tee times. Live stats of tournament action at Muirfield Village Golf Club can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 39