BYU golf: Keiley and Tebbs in top ten, team in second place after day one
DUBLIN, Ohio – In its first ever appearance at the Jack Nicklaus Invitational, the BYU men’s golf team is tied for second place after a solid team effort in round one.
Junior Justin Keiley and senior Adam Tebbs led the way for the Cougars both finishing in the top ten individual rankings. Keiley was consistent throughout the day, converting three birdies to shoot a 73 (+1). He is currently tied for fourth place, three strokes behind the leader.
Tebbs also had a solid performance shooting a two-over-par 74. He led the team with five birdies and currently stands tied for seventh.
“Our guys came out and just hit some great shots right off the bat,” head coach Bruce Brockbank said. “For Justin and Adam to shoot 73 and 74 really helped us today.”
Senior Zac Blair got off to a slow start in the tournament’s opening round shooting three double bogeys in his first seven holes but turned things around hitting four birdies in a five hole span. Blair finished the day at six-over-par, tied for 28th. Sophomore Mike Jurca currently stands tied for 23rd after shooting a five-over-par 77.
BYU is currently in front of three top-25 teams – Arkansas, UNLV and Kent State – on the Golf World/Nike Golf Coaches’ Poll and trails leader Oklahoma State by seven strokes.
“We made some decent putts today,” Brockbank said. “If we can do that tomorrow it will be an exciting finish for us."
The 54-hole tournament was officially trimmed downed to 36 holes after frost delayed this morning’s starting tee times. Live stats of tournament action at Muirfield Village Golf Club can be followed on the Golfstat website.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25