SALT LAKE CITY – The 23rd-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team picked up a 2-0 win over No. 20 Carroll (Mont.) on Monday afternoon at Dumke Field.
With the win, Westminster is now 10-3 overall this season and draws even with Carroll (9-1-2) in Frontier Conference action at 2-1. Both sit in a virtual tie with Rocky Mountain (Mont.) who is 1-0 in league games.
The Griffins would get on the board in the 39th minute as Jessica Harris headed in a corner kick from Lorin Wathen. The goal was the first by Harris since Oct. 16, 2010. Her second career game-winner led to the first loss of the season by Carroll and was the sixth assist of the year by Wathen.
The lead would reach 2-0 in the 62nd minute on a goal by Justine Jones. The fourth goal of the season by Jones came on a shot from 25 yards out that snuck past the Carroll keeper and into the side netting.
Westminster had a 10-4 edge in shots attempted in the game with five shots on goal. Jones led the team with four shots, putting one on goal, while Margo Hickman took two shots with both on frame. Dayna Winter-Nolte earned her fifth win of the season and third shutout behind three saves.
This was the third straight time Westminster has shutout Carroll at Dumke Field. The Saints haven’t scored against the Griffins in Salt Lake City in a span of 331 minutes that dates back to the 2010 season.
Westminster will return to action Sunday when it welcomes Rocky Mountain to town. The action from Dumke Field will begin at 11:30 a.m., and it will be Senior Day for the six Griffin seniors.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 42
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26