NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Utah Valley's McKenna Tait and Houston Baptist's Caiti Wenger have been named Great West Conference Volleyball Players of the Week after outstanding performances last week. The honors were announced Monday by the conference office.
The defensive honor went to Tait after the sophomore from South Jordan, Utah, switched from outside hitter to libero, helping the Wolverines start 2-0 in conference play with road wins at Texas-Pan American and Houston Baptist. Tait led UVU from the back row in both matches as she recorded 62 digs in the two five-set contests and averaged 6.20 digs per set. She also recorded career-highs in digs at the time in both contests as she had 29 on Thursday against the Broncs and 33 versus the Huskies on Saturday. Tait also had four service aces in the two matches, as well as 10 assists and four kills.
Wenger, a junior from Allen, Texas, hit .479 with 28 kills, six blocks and eight service aces as the Huskies went 1-1 last week. In Tuesday's sweep of Jarvis Christian, the middle blocker had 10 kills and a career-high six aces, and in Saturday's five-set loss to defending GWC champion Utah Valley, the offensive player of the week tied her career high with 18 kills and added five blocks.
Other offensive nominees for this week's honor included Danica Vukotic (NJIT), Diara Reynolds (Texas-Pan American) and Lindsay Morrell (Utah Valley). Others nominated for the defensive award were Heather Leaverton (Houston Baptist), Renata Pandolfo (NJIT) and Juri Franzen (Texas-Pan American).
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Pac-12 commissioner 'delighted' that... 147
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 26
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25