Power pick: Did anyone else wonder about the historical background of the missionary age change? I did. Well wonder no more. Brigham Young Univeristy-Idaho Professor Andrea Radke-Moss takes us on a historical journey in “Pragmatism and Progress: An Overview of LDS Sister Missionary Service in the Twentieth Century” wherein she concludes “The age change puts missionary service for young women squarely along their road maps of major life milestones, even privileging ‘Mission’ as a desirable step toward life preparation. Young women will have more opportunities for lessons about companionship, effective communication, conflict resolution, problem-solving, public speaking, more intense gospel study, doctrinal preparation, church governance and leadership. As with previous historical episodes, even if there is a pragmatic motive behind the church’s policy change, in this case, the pragmatism comes with a great leap forward. The implications are endless, and I eagerly await their full exploration.” Click in to find out more about women serving from the 19th century to today.
Techie tip: I began this column with links to videos that allowed you to get a 20-minute distillation of many of the important conference messages. And I just love that I can end with a link to a video that is a time lapse of conference squished into a two-minute video. Watch the “LDS Conference Time-Lapse October 2012” that still somehow awesomely encapsulates much of the spirit of conference. Wow.
Emily Warburton Jensen loves searching through the LDS blog world for developments and testimonies that best capture the ever-evolving LDS online experience. Email: email@example.com
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Church leaders can learn from NFL domestic...
- New DVD tells story of David Archuleta's...
- 10 ideas of what God looks like
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 65
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 17
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 8
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 6