Power pick: Did anyone else wonder about the historical background of the missionary age change? I did. Well wonder no more. Brigham Young Univeristy-Idaho Professor Andrea Radke-Moss takes us on a historical journey in “Pragmatism and Progress: An Overview of LDS Sister Missionary Service in the Twentieth Century” wherein she concludes “The age change puts missionary service for young women squarely along their road maps of major life milestones, even privileging ‘Mission’ as a desirable step toward life preparation. Young women will have more opportunities for lessons about companionship, effective communication, conflict resolution, problem-solving, public speaking, more intense gospel study, doctrinal preparation, church governance and leadership. As with previous historical episodes, even if there is a pragmatic motive behind the church’s policy change, in this case, the pragmatism comes with a great leap forward. The implications are endless, and I eagerly await their full exploration.” Click in to find out more about women serving from the 19th century to today.
Techie tip: I began this column with links to videos that allowed you to get a 20-minute distillation of many of the important conference messages. And I just love that I can end with a link to a video that is a time lapse of conference squished into a two-minute video. Watch the “LDS Conference Time-Lapse October 2012” that still somehow awesomely encapsulates much of the spirit of conference. Wow.
Emily Warburton Jensen loves searching through the LDS blog world for developments and testimonies that best capture the ever-evolving LDS online experience. Email: email@example.com
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Utah woman writes new verse for LDS Cultural...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- Thousands gather for LDS Women's Meeting
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly about...
- President Uchtdorf: 'Live the gospel joyful'
- LDS general conference marks 90th, 65th...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- Defending the Faith: Thinking clearly... 92
- New Jersey teen to join fight against... 62
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 17
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 13
- 5 things to remember when you think God... 10
- Y. forum speaker focuses defending the... 6
- Here's how you and your spouse can... 3