OGDEN — A small but smoky grass fire that broke out Sunday near a hiking trail at the mouth of Ogden Canyon appears to be human caused.
According to a press release from the Ogden City Fire Department, a witness reported seeing two juveniles running toward a neighborhood west of the area.
Deputy Chief Mathew Schwenk of the Ogden department said crews aren't sure if the pair started the fire, but investigators are looking for them as they follow up all leads in the case. The fire is being investigated by the Ogden City Police Department and the Ogden fire marshal.
The blaze was reported at about 4 p.m. and had burned about 40 acres as of Sunday evening. The fire's prominent spot on the mountain and highly visible smoke plume generated attention among Ogden residents, but crews reported the grass fire wasn't threatening homes or structures as it moved east.
A 22-person crew using members of the Ogden City Fire Department, Weber Fire District and the U.S. Forest Service was fighting the blaze.
A helicopter was used to douse the area and contain the flames, keeping the fire from spreading down the canyon.
The helicopter and fire crews worked until nightfall. Firefighting efforts were suspended because of darkness, according to the release, but firefighters were watching the fire overnight and will resume their efforts Monday morning.
Ogden's 12th Street funnels into Ogden Canyon. Crews said the fire seems to have started relatively close to the road.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 132
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35