SALT LAKE CITY – For the second straight day, the Westminster College men’s soccer team went overtime to win a game. On Sunday, the team picked up a 1-0 win over No. 12 Ashford (Iowa) in the second overtime period at Dumke Field.
The Griffins would score the game-winner in the 106th minute of play when Adam Bullough collected a ball past the Ashford defense to create a breakaway. After two touches, Bullough played the ball across to Ryan Smith who then fired a shot into the goal for the win. This is the second straight day Smith scored during overtime to win a game, and he now has eight goals and five game-winners on the season. Bullough was credited with his first assist of the campaign.
Neither team generated much offense throughout the game as they combined for just 12 shots, including seven during regulation. Ashford had a good opportunity to win the game in the 93rd minute after Westminster keeper Damir Sabanovic was given a red card for an intentional hand ball. Craig Butcher hit the ensuing shot wide to keep the game level.
Westminster finished the afternoon with seven shots and had three on goal. Smith and Marcus Brown had two shots apiece to lead the team with each putting one on frame. Sabanovic made one save before being sent off, and Nathan Young earned the win in goal.
This was the Griffins first win on four tries over a ranked opponent this season. They earned a 0-0 draw at then-No. 24 Benedicitne last month. The team’s last win over a ranked opponent was a 2-1 win over then-No. 2 The Master’s on Aug. 26, 2010.
Westminster will return to the pitch on Oct. 14 when it hosts Rocky Mountain College (Mont.). The game will begin at 1:30 p.m. and is Senior Day for the 10 Griffin seniors.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 24
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22