"If you have made no mistakes then you do not need the Atonement," President Packer said. "If you have made mistakes, and all of us have, whether minor or serious, then you have an enormous need to find out how they can be erased so that you are no longer in darkness.
"Jesus Christ is the light and the life of the world," he continued. "As we fix our gaze firmly on him and his teachings, we will be guided to the harbor of spiritual safety."
Another member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, also spoke about the need for Latter-day Saints to stay focused on Jesus Christ. Drawing from the New Testament story of the actions of Jesus' apostles immediately after his death and resurrection, he reminded conferencegoers that "we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord."
"We can't quit and we can't go back," Elder Holland said. "After an encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again to be as it was before. The crucifixion, Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of it."
Also speaking during the session was Sister Linda K. Burton, general president of the church Relief Society organization for women, who gave listeners four words to remember: "First observe, then serve," and Elder Walter F. Gonzalez of the Presidency of the Seventy, who reminded conferencegoers that they have access to the "celestial source when we do things such as reading the scriptures, hearkening to the living prophet and praying."
Music for the session was provided by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, with a solo by Shane Warby on "Does the Journey Seem Long?"
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 45
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 4