Jon Huntsman Sr. endorses Rep. Jim Matheson in 4th District
Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson, announced the endorsement of GOP businessman and philanthropist Jon Huntsman Sr. in his bid for the new 4th District seat.
Huntsman Sr. said in a statement that Matheson "is a conservative 'Blue Dog' congressional leader from Utah who represents our state very well" and someone who puts the state's interests first.
The founder and chairman and Huntsman Corp. also cited the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's support of Matheson. Huntsman Sr. previously served as the conservative business organization's vice chairman.
Matheson, who is in a tight race with Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love, a Republican, said his family and the Huntsmans "have long shared the values of giving back to the community and working in a bipartisan way to solve problems and achieve progress."
Former GOP presidential candidate and Utah governor Jon Huntsman Jr. "isn't endorsing anyone this cycle," his daughter, Abby Livingston, said.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16