Utah Utes volleyball: Utes earn four-set win over Washington State
There were a pair of ties at the start of the second set before the Cougars inched out to a 6-3 lead. The Utes came back quickly with three straight to tie the set for the third time at 6-6. The score would be tied three more times (9-9) as Utah inched out to a 13-10 lead via a 4-1 run. The set would be tied six more times at 19, 22, 24, 25, 26, and 27 before WSU was able to earn the final two points for a 29-27 win to even the match. Schofield added kills in the second frame and Morgan Odale contributed five. The Utes maintained a 3.5 to 1.0 edge in team blocks over the Cougars.
Once again, Utah got off to a quick 5-1 lead at the beginning of the third set and maintained its four-point edge until the 8-4 point. The Cougars came back to the score for the second time at nine points apiece. Utah climbed to a 14-9 lead with five-straight scores and would lead by as many as six (16-10). WSU cut its deficit to two points (17-15) with a 5-1 stretch, but Utah pushed its lead back to six points after putting together a 4-0 run and closed strong en route to a 25-20 third-set win. Morgan Odale paced five kills, while Schofield had four and the Utes totaled a .353 hitting percentage, compared to just a .103 mark for WSU. Utah also owned a 4.0 to 2.0 edge in team blocks.
WSU grabbed a 4-2 edge during the outset of the fourth frame, but Utah quickly pieced together a 5-3 stretch to tie the set for the second time at 7-7. There would be three more ties (8, 10 and 11), but the Cougars would go on a 6-1 run to grab a 17-12 lead. WSU would lead by as many as seven, 23-16, before going on 8-1 tear to tie the set at 24 points apiece. The set would be even at 25 before consecutive Redd kills gave the Utes a 27-25 match-clinching victory. Redd and Morgan Odale pitched in five kills each, while Utah posted a .289 hitting percentage as a team, compared to a .222 mark for WSU.
Washington State (10-8, 0-6 Pac-12) was led by 20 kills and 10 digs by Jaicee Harris.
The Utes close their four-match homestand next weekend with a pair of Pac-12 matches against Arizona on Friday at 7 p.m. and Arizona State on Sunday at 3 p.m. Both matches will be televised live on Pac-12 Network (Regional).
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19