Utah State soccer: USU soccer welcomes first place Texas State Sunday
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
First-place Texas State comes to Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field as the Utah State soccer team hosts the Bobcats on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 1 p.m.
Utah State is tied for second in the Western Athletic Conference standings with a 6-2-6 overall record and a 1-0-2 league record for five points. The Aggies are tied with No. 19 Denver, which tied Louisiana Tech on Friday, 1-1. Texas State stands alone in first place with a 5-8-1 overall record and a 2-1-0 conference mark for six points. The Bobcats shut down San Jose State, 3-1, in San Jose.
Utah State leads the all-times series with Texas State 1-0-1. The last time the two teams met was in 2008 in Logan when the Aggies and the Bobcats battled to a 0-0 overtime tie. In 2007 San Marcos, USU came out on top, 1-0.
Aside from the win against the Spartans, the Bobcats defeated Idaho, 2-1, and lost to Seattle, 2-0. Tori Hale is Texas State’s leading scorer with 14 points off of four goals and six assists. Natalie Gardini has seen the bulk of time in goal for the Bobcats this season, allowing 14 goals for a 1.29 GAA.
The Aggie offense exploded for a season-high three goals against UTSA in their WAC home opener on Friday. Utah State got goals from senior defender Natalie Norris, junior forward Mari Miyahsiro and junior midfielder Jennifer Flynn. Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford dropped her already slight GAA to 0.52 with her fifth shutout of the season. The Aggies have only allowed eight goals in 14 matches this season.
Following the match against the Bobcats, Utah State will hit the road for its final two regular season matches of the season. The Aggies will take on Seattle on Friday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. (MT) and Idaho on Sunday, Oct. 14 at 2 p.m. (MT).
GameTracker will be available for both matches this weekend and can be accessed through www.UtahStateAggies.com.
For the first time, the Aggies will be streaming all home soccer matches through www.UtahStateAggies.com. There is a Utah State All-Access Monthly Subscription for $9.95 and a Utah State All-Access Yearly Subscription for $79.95.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 19
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8