Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Elder Craig C. Christensen was sustained as a member of the Presidency of the Seventy, and four members of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were given emeritus status during the Saturday afternoon session of the 182nd Semiannual General Conference of the church.
Elder Christensen replaces Elder Jay E. Jensen in the Presidency. Elder Jensen, who turned 70 this past year, joins Elders Keith K. Hilbig, Marlin K. Jensen and Octaviano Tenorio in being granted emeritus status, which Elder Marlin K. Jensen recently defined as an opportunity to "quietly step down and let new men come in to keep pushing the work along with new energy and vitality."
Elder Marlin K. Jensen was also released as LDS Church historian and recorder. Elder Steven E. Snow of the First Quorum of the Seventy, a former member of the Presidency of the Seventy, was sustained to serve as church historian and recorder.
Elder Christensen has been a general authority since 2002, when he was called to the Second Quorum of the Seventy. His service as a general authority has included assignments as president of the Mexico South Area and in various departments and assignments at church headquarters, most recently as executive director of the Priesthood Department.
In addition to his assignment in the Presidency, Elder Jay E. Jensen has also served in area presidencies in Central and South America and in different areas in the United States. Elder Hilbig, a general authority since 2006, has been a member of presidencies in the Europe East Area, North America Northwest Area, and Pacific Area. And Elder Tenorio concludes five years of service as a general authority while serving as a member of the Mexico Area Presidency.
Two members of the Second Quorum of the Seventy, Elders Keith R. Edwards and Larry W. Gibbons, were also released during the session.
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- After 3rd round of Hollywood Week on...
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online database...
- LDS Church leaders speak at RootsTech Family...
- Music and the Spoken Word: Choosing to act
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 35
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 12
- 'A unique insight': Jermaine Sullivan... 7
- New Harmony: Reading the pope's words... 6
- Maintaining faith during LDS Church... 5
- Panthers or Broncos? God does not care 5