BYU, Utah State: BYU Cougars lead the Aggies at halftime, 6-3
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU leads Utah State, 6-3, at halftime Friday night at LaVell Edwards Stadium.
Cougars quarterback Taysom Hill threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to JD Falsev with only three seconds left in the first half, but BYU kicker Justin Sorensen missed the ensuing PAT. The scoring drive covered 61 yards in four plays and 25 seconds.
Earlier, Aggies kicker Josh Thompson booted a 26-yard field goal late in the first quarter for a 3-0 lead. The kick culminated a 13-play drive that covered 49 yards.
Both teams struggled to move the ball for most of the first half, but neither team committed a turnover. The Cougars outgained the Aggies, 224 yards to 112.
The two quarterbacks led their teams in rushing during the first half: Hill had 10 carries for 55 yards, and the Aggies' Chuckie Keeton rushed six times for 24 yards.
Hill finished the first half 15 for 21 with 143 yards through the air; Keeton completed 10-of-15 passes for 73 yards.
Utah State punted four times and BYU ended three drives with a punt; the Cougars also lost the ball once on downs.
Ezekiel Ansah recorded two sacks for BYU.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37