UVU cross-country: men, women win Color Country Invitational
CEDAR CITY -- The Utah Valley women's cross-country team had three runners finish in the top five in Darian Sharp (2nd), Stephanie Christensen (3rd) and Krystal Harper (5th) in leading the Wolverines to the first-place finish at the Color Country Invitational Friday afternoon.
"With it being a short race, they ran a good race and showed they have good foot speed and our gap was very, very good," UVU cross-country coach Scott Houle said.
The Wolverines finished with 30 points, while Idaho State was second with 46 points and Southern Utah was third with 68 points.
"Just at the right time of the season our gap is getting smaller and it's nice to see," Houle said.
Behind Sharp (14:12.20), Christensen (14:18.20) and Harper (14:26.80), Angie Baker-Blackham finished ninth (14:46.40), followed by Ivie Gonsavles (11th, 14:47.90), Bridget Hazel (14th, 15:00.70) and Brooke Hodson-Davies (15th, 15:02.70).
On the men's side, the Wolverines had four runners finish in the Top 10 as well, led by Trevor Sharp's fourth-place finish with the time of 19:04.20 in the 6K event. Chris Dorton was sixth (19:14.00), Macy Butterfield was seventh (19:14.20) and Chris Claflin was 10th (19:26.60).
Overall, the UVU men posted 38 points to win the event by eight points over Southern Utah, while Idaho State was third with 55.
"They ran some great times and it allowed them to have to lead the team," Houle said. "They ran aggressively and they wanted to go out and lead the team themselves."
Cliff Nielson, Mike Felix, Logan Wood, and Trevor Baker didn't participate for the men.
Spencer Evensen (19:31.30) finished 11th, followed by Brandon Edmondson (19:40.20) was 13th and Jaxon Hansen (19:49.70) was 18th.
Idaho State Bryce Jenkins won the men's event with the time of 18:44.60, while Dixie State's Rachel Young won the 4K-women's race at 14:09.50.
The Wolverines are back in action Oct. 13 at NCAA Pre-Nationals in Louisville, Kent.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39