High school football: Late kick by Trevor Ward lifts Pleasant Grove to rivalry win over Lone Peak
Miles was replaced by junior QB Baron Gajkowski, and he very quickly moved the Knights down field, aided by a pass-interference penalty on the Vikings, which put Lone Peak with a first-and-10 on the Viking 13-yard line. Gajkowski hit Dustin Watkins with a 13-yard touchdown pass and Smith added the PAT. The clock now stood at 6:06 remaining and the Knights were winning, 24-23.
The Vikings got the ball back and started working downfield. On this drive, Munson hauled in two separate passes that greatly enabled the Vikings to draw close enough for Ward to attempt a field goal.
On his first try, his kick went wide. However, the Knights were penalized for an offside violation. With the next attempt being 5 yards closer, Ward's kick went over and through the goal posts, making the score, PG 26, Lone Peak 24.
"I really wasn't nervous about my kicking, but I was never so glad to see a flag in my life," said Ward.
The only question was: Could Pleasant Grove keep Lone Peak from scoring in the final 1:39?
Wilkinson answered the question with his huge interception to preserve the upset.
Lone Peak now stands at 2-1 in Region 4 and 5-3 overall. Pleasant Grove has a record of 2-1 in Region 4 and 5-3 overall.
Lone Peak plays at Riverton next Wednesday and Pleasant Grove will play at American Fork on that same date. Both games start at 7 p.m.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom Hill,...
- Utah Jazz: Rip City, all right...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah State football: Immovable Aggies face...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46