SALT LAKE CITY — The city's Fairmont neighborhood has been recognized as one of the 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2012 by the American Planning Association.
Fairmont was singled out for its historic links, bustling town center, recreational and cultural offerings and involved residents, according to the association.
"The Sugar House streetcar project and the new development that it's bringing is the most recent chapter in a resurgence story that began decades ago in our historic Fairmont neighborhood," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said.
Construction of a $55.5 million streetcar line, to open in 2013, has helped leverage $405 million in private investment in the neighborhood.
The redevelopment of 1.9 million square feet on seven sites within a half-mile of the new streetcar station will bring more than 1,000 new residences and dozens of businesses and offices to the neighborhood.
The greenway surrounding the new line will add more than 5 acres of green space to the neighborhood.
Established in 1853, the neighborhood was named for what was intended to be the area's first sugar mill. Fairmont was Sugar House's first residential subdivision with the bulk of its homes, mostly late Victorians, constructed from 1900-10.
For more information on American Planning Association's Great Places in America Program, visit www.planning.org/greatplaces.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14