SALT LAKE CITY — The city's Fairmont neighborhood has been recognized as one of the 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2012 by the American Planning Association.
Fairmont was singled out for its historic links, bustling town center, recreational and cultural offerings and involved residents, according to the association.
"The Sugar House streetcar project and the new development that it's bringing is the most recent chapter in a resurgence story that began decades ago in our historic Fairmont neighborhood," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said.
Construction of a $55.5 million streetcar line, to open in 2013, has helped leverage $405 million in private investment in the neighborhood.
The redevelopment of 1.9 million square feet on seven sites within a half-mile of the new streetcar station will bring more than 1,000 new residences and dozens of businesses and offices to the neighborhood.
The greenway surrounding the new line will add more than 5 acres of green space to the neighborhood.
Established in 1853, the neighborhood was named for what was intended to be the area's first sugar mill. Fairmont was Sugar House's first residential subdivision with the bulk of its homes, mostly late Victorians, constructed from 1900-10.
For more information on American Planning Association's Great Places in America Program, visit www.planning.org/greatplaces.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 67
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 56
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 19
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11