SALT LAKE CITY — The city's Fairmont neighborhood has been recognized as one of the 10 Great Neighborhoods for 2012 by the American Planning Association.
Fairmont was singled out for its historic links, bustling town center, recreational and cultural offerings and involved residents, according to the association.
"The Sugar House streetcar project and the new development that it's bringing is the most recent chapter in a resurgence story that began decades ago in our historic Fairmont neighborhood," Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said.
Construction of a $55.5 million streetcar line, to open in 2013, has helped leverage $405 million in private investment in the neighborhood.
The redevelopment of 1.9 million square feet on seven sites within a half-mile of the new streetcar station will bring more than 1,000 new residences and dozens of businesses and offices to the neighborhood.
The greenway surrounding the new line will add more than 5 acres of green space to the neighborhood.
Established in 1853, the neighborhood was named for what was intended to be the area's first sugar mill. Fairmont was Sugar House's first residential subdivision with the bulk of its homes, mostly late Victorians, constructed from 1900-10.
For more information on American Planning Association's Great Places in America Program, visit www.planning.org/greatplaces.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 29
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11