Westminster volleyball: Griffins fall at home for the first time this season
SALT LAKE CITY – The 23rd-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team fell to No. 10 Cal State San Marcos, 3-0, on Friday afternoon at Dumke Field for their first home loss of the season.
Westminster (9-3) had been a perfect 6-0 at home this season and was unbeaten in 11 straight home contests. The loss is also a second straight overall after a 9-1 start to the season. CSUSM improves to 6-2-1 overall with the win.
The Griffins fell behind in the 18th minute when defender Megan Molumby’s attempted clear went into the goal for an own goal. She was trying to keep a cross from Paulina Good in the penalty area.
The deficit would reach 2-0 in the 25th minute as the Cougars took advantage of a breakaway. Natalie Lara fired a shot from 10 yards out that was saved by Westminster keeper Jamie Wilkinson. The rebound found the foot of Jacqueline Lara for an open shot on net.
The score would remain 2-0 into the 64th minute when Dani Porter took a cross from Shelby Bush and fired it into the goal. CSUSM created this opportunity from a counter-attack after a Westminster shot was turned away.
Westminster had just six shots in the contest with four being on goal. The Griffins couldn’t find an answer for the Cougar’s attack that blasted 11 shots (eight on goal) and created eight corner kicks. Jaime Nelson and Margo Hickman had two shots apiece for the Griffins. Wilkinson suffered her first loss of the year while making five saves.
The Griffins will now move on to a Monday contest against No. 20 Carroll (Mont.). The Frontier Conference rival just defeated the Griffins 3-2 on Sunday in Helena. Monday’s game will begin at 3:30 p.m. at Dumke Field.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28