Westminster volleyball: Griffins fall at home for the first time this season
SALT LAKE CITY – The 23rd-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team fell to No. 10 Cal State San Marcos, 3-0, on Friday afternoon at Dumke Field for their first home loss of the season.
Westminster (9-3) had been a perfect 6-0 at home this season and was unbeaten in 11 straight home contests. The loss is also a second straight overall after a 9-1 start to the season. CSUSM improves to 6-2-1 overall with the win.
The Griffins fell behind in the 18th minute when defender Megan Molumby’s attempted clear went into the goal for an own goal. She was trying to keep a cross from Paulina Good in the penalty area.
The deficit would reach 2-0 in the 25th minute as the Cougars took advantage of a breakaway. Natalie Lara fired a shot from 10 yards out that was saved by Westminster keeper Jamie Wilkinson. The rebound found the foot of Jacqueline Lara for an open shot on net.
The score would remain 2-0 into the 64th minute when Dani Porter took a cross from Shelby Bush and fired it into the goal. CSUSM created this opportunity from a counter-attack after a Westminster shot was turned away.
Westminster had just six shots in the contest with four being on goal. The Griffins couldn’t find an answer for the Cougar’s attack that blasted 11 shots (eight on goal) and created eight corner kicks. Jaime Nelson and Margo Hickman had two shots apiece for the Griffins. Wilkinson suffered her first loss of the year while making five saves.
The Griffins will now move on to a Monday contest against No. 20 Carroll (Mont.). The Frontier Conference rival just defeated the Griffins 3-2 on Sunday in Helena. Monday’s game will begin at 3:30 p.m. at Dumke Field.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 42
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 41
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23