Westminster volleyball: Griffins fall at home for the first time this season
SALT LAKE CITY – The 23rd-ranked Westminster College women’s soccer team fell to No. 10 Cal State San Marcos, 3-0, on Friday afternoon at Dumke Field for their first home loss of the season.
Westminster (9-3) had been a perfect 6-0 at home this season and was unbeaten in 11 straight home contests. The loss is also a second straight overall after a 9-1 start to the season. CSUSM improves to 6-2-1 overall with the win.
The Griffins fell behind in the 18th minute when defender Megan Molumby’s attempted clear went into the goal for an own goal. She was trying to keep a cross from Paulina Good in the penalty area.
The deficit would reach 2-0 in the 25th minute as the Cougars took advantage of a breakaway. Natalie Lara fired a shot from 10 yards out that was saved by Westminster keeper Jamie Wilkinson. The rebound found the foot of Jacqueline Lara for an open shot on net.
The score would remain 2-0 into the 64th minute when Dani Porter took a cross from Shelby Bush and fired it into the goal. CSUSM created this opportunity from a counter-attack after a Westminster shot was turned away.
Westminster had just six shots in the contest with four being on goal. The Griffins couldn’t find an answer for the Cougar’s attack that blasted 11 shots (eight on goal) and created eight corner kicks. Jaime Nelson and Margo Hickman had two shots apiece for the Griffins. Wilkinson suffered her first loss of the year while making five saves.
The Griffins will now move on to a Monday contest against No. 20 Carroll (Mont.). The Frontier Conference rival just defeated the Griffins 3-2 on Sunday in Helena. Monday’s game will begin at 3:30 p.m. at Dumke Field.
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Alan...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- U. student government passes resolution... 57
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 40
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19