Slain Border Patrol agent Nicholas Ivie died from friendly fire
Arizona guv plans to attend service for former Provo resident
Initial reports from U.S. and local officials blamed the shootings on armed criminals. Mexican police said Thursday that they arrested two suspects in a Mexican military operation in the city of Agua Prieta, in Mexico's northern Sonora state, a few miles from where Ivie was shot, Reuters reported.
Ivie's death marked the first fatal shooting of an agent since a deadly 2010 firefight with Mexican bandits who killed U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry in December 2010 and spawned congressional probes of a botched government gun-smuggling investigation.
Twenty-six Border Patrol agents have died in the line of duty since 2002.
Contributing: The Associated Press
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14