Food isn’t only a necessity in life; it is also a source of comfort, tradition and just plain enjoyment. I love to cook for people. It is my way of expressing love. My husband complains that I sabotage his attempts at staying fit with my cookies and other treats he can’t resist.
One of his favorites is an old family recipe called butter tarts. They are individual treats that are similar to a pecan pie. He told me about them when we were first dating and I contacted his mother via email to get the recipe and surprise him. She wrote back and along with the recipe, she included a short note about the weather and life. I printed out the entire email and placed it into my recipe file.
Two years ago she died. I miss her terribly and am grateful to have had her as my mother-in-law. Every time I make butter tarts, I get to read her sweet email and remember how lucky I was to have her in my life. Butter tarts are not just my husband’s favorite treat, but also a warm reminder of his sweet mother. I hope you’ll enjoy them too!
Belle’s Butter Tarts
Pie crust (I used the pre-made crusts in the refrigerated biscuit area)
4 tablespoon butter, melted
½ cup brown sugar
¾ cup dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup raisins
½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are best)
Unroll pie crust on the counter. Use a drinking glass or cookie cutter that is just a bit larger than the muffin tin. Cut out the circles of pie crust and place them in the muffin tins. Place approximately one teaspoon of raisins and one teaspoon of nuts in each tart. Whisk together the eggs, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla. Pour over raisins and nuts in each tart. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- What accounts for the cinematic generation gap?
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- Dear mom on the iPhone: Let me tell you... 75
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- Erin Stewart: Prom dress modesty raises... 8
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- Top reasons couples divorce... 4
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I... 3
- Wyoming ranked third in US in... 2
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video... 2