Stephen Holman, AP
Although trees drop leaves on lawns and the occasional branch on houses, they can also add money to your wallet.
Large trees in yards could add as much as 8 to 10 percent to your home’s value, Scott Cullen, from the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers, told CNN.
A shade tree near the home could save almost $70 a year on air conditioning bills, David Nowak, from the U.S. Forest Service, told CNN. Trees capable of blocking wind in the winter (like evergreens) could save about $60 every year in heating costs.
Trees can also block noise from roads and prevent flooded basements, according to CNN.
In spite of all the benefits trees provide, they could also damage your home. To prevent, this tree-care companies provide free inspections to watch for dangerous branches. Limb removal and cabling them to protect from high winds costs about $200 to $400 per tree, but this work only needs to be done once every 10 years, according to CNN.
Some trees are so dangerous that they ultimately have to be removed. Eight-foot tall replacement trees cost $250 to $500, but can add tens of thousands of dollars to your home’s value in about 10 years.
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- Internet billionaires face off in renewed...
- Can a company really be altruistic?
- Uber, Lyft refuse to require driver fingerprints
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Technology and outdoor sports converge at...
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Utah construction companies fined,... 8
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 4
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2
- First lady: Tech industry to train,... 1
- Greece under fire from creditors as... 1
- Diet Pepsi dropping aspartame on... 1