Salt Lake firefighters move into their new fire station
James Young, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters at Fire Station No. 2 have a new and safer place to work and sleep.
After a six-month renovation project, crews started moving back into the fire station at 270 W. 300 North last week.
"It's like when they flip those houses, and they renovate places, and you see it and you're like, 'Wow!' It was a wow factor for us,” said Salt Lake City Fire Capt. Mike Harp.
The improvements include the ventilation system. Before the renovations, exhaust in the bay could go up the fire pole and into the bedroom where crews sleep. Now, any dangerous gases in the bay get sucked through a mesh screen into the new duct work and out the back of the building. It allows fresh air to flow into the station all the time.
"I think the firefighters are going to feel better," director of facilities Jim Cleland said. "They're going to be more ready to fight fires or whatever response they need to do."
The firefighters are also happy to see their new kitchen, especially when they consider what they used to do in their old kitchen.
"The ovens would never light," Salt Lake Fire Capt. Danny Sorensen said. "We're always down there with burning macaroni. We would get a piece of spaghetti on fire to light the pilot light."
Their new digs also include a weight room and living room.
The place is so new there aren't any scratches, holes or dents in the walls, but once they appear, firefighters say this fire station will feel like home again.
While renovations were being made to their stations, firefighters were stationed at Station No. 1 and No. 6.
Cleland says all of the costs to renovate Fire Station No. 2 are not in yet, but he believes it was done for less than $1 million. Constructing a new station would have been at least five times as much, he said.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 53
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 23
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16