USU soccer: Aggie soccer prepares for WAC home opener against UTSA Friday
Utah State soccer opens the home portion of its Western Athletic Conference schedule, hosting a pair UTSA on Friday, Oct. 5 at 3 p.m. at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field.
Utah State (5-2-6) returns home after a pair of 0-0 double overtime ties at New Mexico State and No. 18 Denver last week. The Aggies are 0-1-5 in their last six matches.
The season series between UTSA and Utah State is tied at 1-1. The last time the Roadrunners and the Aggies met was in 2009 in San Antonio when UTSA edged out Utah State, 1-0, on Sept. 11, 2009. In 2008, the match was on the Aggies' home turf with USU winning that battle, 2-0, on Sept. 18, 2008. Aggie greats Lindsey Smart and Lauren Hansen found the back of the net for USU. This is the first time that the Aggies and the Roadrunners have met as members of the same conference.
UTSA is 1-7-2 overall and 0-0-2 WAC play in its first season in the league. The Roadrunners have allowed 22 goals this season, while scoring seven. Maria Jose Rojas leads the team with five points off of one goal and three assists. Seven different Roadrunners have scored a goal for UTSA this season.
One constant this season for the Aggies has been solid defense and stellar goalkeeping. Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford is 11th in the nation in save percentage (.895) in this week’s NCAA statistics. UCLA’s Katelyn Rowland is first with a .941 save percentage. As a team, USU is ninth in save percentage (.923).
This season, the Aggies have been logging in the extra minutes. Utah State set the school record with its eighth overtime match in 13 matches this season. USU has had three-straight overtime matches and five of the last six matches have resulted in extra time. Utah State also set the record for ties in a season with its sixth. USU is 2-0-6 in overtime matches this year.
Following the match against the Aggies, Utah State will remain home to take on Texas State on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 1 p.m.
GameTracker will be available for both matches this weekend and can be accessed through www.UtahStateAggies.com.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39