Horror film: This movie honors other horror films throughout the story. Some characters have names from other horror films and the tone is set with lightning, storms and darkness. It is not overly dark, though. There is enough comedy to lighten it up for kids.
Black and white: The entire movie was shot in black and white, and that makes for a good horror film. Unfortunately, it does not make for a good 3-D film.
Scary: There are scary elements in the film, and some children could be affected by them. At the same time, there are just as many comedic and hopeful elements to balance them out. There is the death of a pet and animal mutation.
Director Tim Burton always has strange films with themes that most would consider "out there." He takes quirky to a new level and does it well. In this film, you can see his love for horror movies and how they help shape the world of film. "Frankenweenie" is fun and great for kids who are at least 6 or older. For anyone younger, some of the themes won’t make sense. There are also some odd jokes that a few people won’t get despite their age.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer on BYU Radio. His reviews can be heard on youtube.com/byuradio and on SiriusXM channel 143.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- The complicated relationship between God and rap
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite abuse charge
- 11 movies to watch out for this fall
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: The role of rocks in the...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1
- Miss America: More to worry about than... 1
- When it comes to TV's future,... 1