PROVO, Utah — Opposite hitter Jennifer Hamson led her team to an 11-1 record in September matches, earning her a West Coast Conference Co-Player of the Month award.
Hamson totaled 147 kills during the month at 3.67 per set. Hamson also recorded a double-double, with 15 kills and 11 digs against Portland State. She hit .316 for the month and averaged 1.15 blocks. No. 22 in the nation for points per set, Hamson contributes an average 4.93 points for the No. 16 Cougars.
The 6-foot-7 junior has earned two WCC Player of the Week awards since the start of the season. She helped BYU to three upsets of top-25 teams during the month, pushing the Cougars to their first top-25 ranking since 2008.
Hamson was named MVP of two of the three invitationals BYU played in during September and was named to the all-tournament team of the third.
Also named co-player of the month is Loyola Marymount’s Kathleen Luft, who averaged 4.16 kills per set during September.
BYU is in action Thursday at 7 p.m. PDT in Los Angeles, taking on Loyola Marymount on the Lions’ home court.
Rachel Hawks is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 43
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25