PROVO, Utah — Opposite hitter Jennifer Hamson led her team to an 11-1 record in September matches, earning her a West Coast Conference Co-Player of the Month award.
Hamson totaled 147 kills during the month at 3.67 per set. Hamson also recorded a double-double, with 15 kills and 11 digs against Portland State. She hit .316 for the month and averaged 1.15 blocks. No. 22 in the nation for points per set, Hamson contributes an average 4.93 points for the No. 16 Cougars.
The 6-foot-7 junior has earned two WCC Player of the Week awards since the start of the season. She helped BYU to three upsets of top-25 teams during the month, pushing the Cougars to their first top-25 ranking since 2008.
Hamson was named MVP of two of the three invitationals BYU played in during September and was named to the all-tournament team of the third.
Also named co-player of the month is Loyola Marymount’s Kathleen Luft, who averaged 4.16 kills per set during September.
BYU is in action Thursday at 7 p.m. PDT in Los Angeles, taking on Loyola Marymount on the Lions’ home court.
Rachel Hawks is the women's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- How about a Utah-BYU matchup in NCAA tournament?
- Tom Welch: Replace the prison with the NFL
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 105
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 77
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27