NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley's Cliff Nielson and Texas-Pan American's Judith Chumba have been named Great West Conference Runners of the Week after outstanding performances last week. The award was announced Wednesday by the conference office.
Nielson, a junior from Gowanda, N.Y., posted a time of 25:06 at the prestigious Roy Griak Invitational, hosted by the University of Minnesota. Nielson led the Wolverines, finishing 13th in the 8K race that featured 143 competitors from Iowa State, Weber State, Boise State, Iowa, South Dakota State, Central Michigan, Utah State, South Dakota, Drake, Utah State, Illinois State and the host Golden Gophers.
Reigning GWC Women's Cross Country Athlete of the Year Chumba took the women's honor after winning the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders Splash. The senior from Eldoret, Kenya, ran an 18:02, beating 68 other participants in the 6K race from GWC foe Houston Baptist, Central Arkansas, Rice, Texas Southern, Prairie View A&M and host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
Others nominated for the weekly honors were Anthony Aguinaga and Jessica Whitt from Houston Baptist, Martin Casse from Texas-Pan American, and Darian Sharp from Utah Valley.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 27
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21