'He was the best dad that you could ever be'
Family and friends rally to aid of fallen agent
Kerr said he would often see Ivie walking his girls to the Holiday Community Center swimming pool, where a giant American now flag flies half staff.
"He was the best dad that you could ever be. He was always with his two daughters," he said.
Kerr also described Ivie as an exceptional husband.
Nick and Christy Ivie grew up in Utah. They met in Spanish Fork after serving missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he in Mexico City and she in Berlin, Germany. His older brother Joel, also a Border Patrol agent steered him toward the agency where has worked since January 2008.
Goates recounted how family members traced the last few days of Ivie's life, which true to form included time not only with his daughters but other people's children as well.
"What happened really gives the measure of the man," Goates said.
Ivie arrived home around 5 a.m. Sunday after an overnight shift on the border. He showered before heading out for church meetings starting at 8 a.m. He spent the day attending to church duties, including sharing his faith in Jesus Christ during Sacrament meeting, before going back on shift at 6 p.m.
"He never said anything to anybody about his schedule, about being tired, about asking for a break," Goates said. "The bishop said, 'Had I only known. I would have done something different.' But Nick didn't make an issue out of that."
On Monday, he went to his wife's community league soccer practice where his daughters and other players' children had accompanied their mothers. He gathered them together and played with them.
"You hear these stories and you realize what kind of many Nick Ivie was," Goates said, his eyes welling with tears. "I hope I can be more like him."
Contributing: Associated Press
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14