AMERICAN FORK — Lone Peak head volleyball coach Deanna Meyer earned her 300th career victory as the Knights swept American Fork 25-19, 25-23, 25-15 Tuesday night. The win moved Lone Peak to 5-0 in Region 4 volleyball action.
Meyer now stands at 300-126 in her coaching career, which has included stints at Lone Peak and Granger. Of those victories, 270 have come with the Knights, who have won five state titles and had eight trips to the championship game under her tenure. She also led Granger to a region title in 1999.
The Knights recently returned from a tournament in Chicago where Lone Peak faced nationally ranked competition. The Knights have had to fight off jet lag as well as face the challenge of recovering from two grueling days of competition against top-flight competition. Lone Peak was up to task.
The Knights controlled the action in the first and third games, winning 25-19 and 25-15 respectively, but the Cavemen put up a stiff fight in the second set. In the final stages of the set, the Cavemen tied the game four different times, but Lone Peak earned the last two points and carried that momentum into the decisive third set.
Still, Meyer is not fully content with her team and Tuesday's performance.
"We need to get back in the gym and work on some things," said Meyer. "We're not as consistent right now as we need to be."
However, Meyer was still pleased to come away with a victory in enemy territory.
"I'm still glad to get the win, we showed a lot of guts and we were able to execute when it mattered," Meyer added.
Lone Peak was led by Kizzy Willey, who had 15 kills and 13 digs. Jaden Achermann gave additional offensive support with eight kills. Reagan Lindsey and Megan Hunter quarterbacked with the offense with 13 and 10 assists respectively, while Brookelyn Langhaim had five blocks, with Sammy Meyer chipping in another two.
Brian E. Preece is a freelance sports writer who has authored articles for the Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, Daily Herald and Coaches Quarterly magazine. He was also the head wrestling coach at Provo High School from 1994-2006.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25