'Lead, Kindly Light' is majestic collection of hymns for the Sabbath Day
Shadow Mountain Music
"LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT," Shadow Mountain Records, $14.98
A variety of artists perform on the new album “Lead, Kindly Light,” a hymn collection with 13 tracks. The music on the album is majestic and calming and soars with emotion meant for the Sabbath Day.
“How Great Thou Art/Debussy: Clair De Lune” played by Josh Wright was one of the first things that Bob Ahlander of Shadow Mountain Records said he hear Wright play.
"I had read an article about him being in the Gina Bachauer piano competition and called him up to see if he would meet with me," Ahlander wrote in an email. "I was blown away at his talent and skill.”
Many will recognize the talent of Mercy River, who sing a riveting version of “Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing."
“Our version of ‘Come, Thou Fount’ was arranged by the incredible James Stevens," Whitney Permann of the Mercy River trio wrote in an email. "He took a hymn that has been done over and over and made it fresh and intriguing. It has always been one of our most requested songs.”
The rendition of “Be Still, My Soul,” sung by Alex Boyé, is stirring as he guides the listener through the deep and then swelling heights of the lyrics. Other well-known hymns on the album include “I Know that My Redeemer Lives,” “More Holiness Give Me,” “Nearer, My God, To Thee” and “Jesus, Once of Humble Birth.”
The title track, “Lead, Kindly Light,” simply sung by Paul Jacobsen and accompanied by only the strum of a guitar, speaks of being led by Christ.
“Life can be really challenging, and it is such a comfort to know that we can turn to Heavenly Father and he is always there to help lift us up,” wrote Jenny Oaks Baker, known for her strength and emotional carriage with the violin. She contributes with the beloved hymn “I Need Thee Every Hour.” “I am so grateful to be able to praise him through performing sacred music. This album is full of such music and I am thrilled to be a part of it.”
“Lead, Kindly Light” will enrich the homes and lives of those who wish to draw closer to Christ through the medium of music.
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 106
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- New friends plan to work together to... 26
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 14