President Matthew S. Holland to celebrate America's heritage with UVU symphony
Utah Valley University President Matthew S. Holland will be performing with the UVU Symphony Orchestra on Oct. 4, 7:30 p.m., in the Sorensen Student Center's Ragan Theater, according to a news release.
Holland and the orchestra will be performing composer Aaron Copland's "Lincoln Portrait," which will include lyrics from well-known folk songs such as "Camptown Races," as well as a narration that uses a collection of quotes by President Abraham Lincoln. This concert will revolve around the "Celebrate Our American Heritage" theme.
Holland will be accompanied by the orchestra as he narrates the composition's text for part of the concert. Most of "Lincoln Portrait" will be orchestral music.
“It is an honor to have President Holland join us in this celebration of our American heritage, with his affinity to Lincoln, his expertise on American political history and his prowess as a public speaker,” said Cheung Chau, a UVU assistant professor of music, in a news release.
Other American history music styles included in the performance are American landscape, folk and jazz.
“The music and the text evoke a patriotism for our country and ideals, and hope to inspire us,” Chau said.
Music majors, minors and non-majors comprise the Utah Valley University Symphony Orchestra.
Tickets are available at Campus Connection in the Sorensen Student Center, at the UVU School of Arts Box Office or by calling 801-863-PLAY (7529).
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes history...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 22
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 16
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- '12 Years a Slave' wins best picture at... 6
- 2014 Oscars played it safe, but was... 6