President Matthew S. Holland to celebrate America's heritage with UVU symphony
Utah Valley University President Matthew S. Holland will be performing with the UVU Symphony Orchestra on Oct. 4, 7:30 p.m., in the Sorensen Student Center's Ragan Theater, according to a news release.
Holland and the orchestra will be performing composer Aaron Copland's "Lincoln Portrait," which will include lyrics from well-known folk songs such as "Camptown Races," as well as a narration that uses a collection of quotes by President Abraham Lincoln. This concert will revolve around the "Celebrate Our American Heritage" theme.
Holland will be accompanied by the orchestra as he narrates the composition's text for part of the concert. Most of "Lincoln Portrait" will be orchestral music.
“It is an honor to have President Holland join us in this celebration of our American heritage, with his affinity to Lincoln, his expertise on American political history and his prowess as a public speaker,” said Cheung Chau, a UVU assistant professor of music, in a news release.
Other American history music styles included in the performance are American landscape, folk and jazz.
“The music and the text evoke a patriotism for our country and ideals, and hope to inspire us,” Chau said.
Music majors, minors and non-majors comprise the Utah Valley University Symphony Orchestra.
Tickets are available at Campus Connection in the Sorensen Student Center, at the UVU School of Arts Box Office or by calling 801-863-PLAY (7529).
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't save...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1
- 11 cartoon characters who buck stereotypes 1