Photo records expand for genealogists as Ancestry acquires startup
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Ancestry.com acquired San Francisco-based photo service 1000memories Inc., which means digital family trees are about to get more visual.
1000memories helps users digitize and share paper photos. The company’s mobile app, called ShoeBox, received more than 500,000 downloads since it launched.
With the acquisition, Ancestry.com members can now scan and add photos to their family trees.
“We began with the idea that the web provides an amazing vehicle for capturing and sharing the memories we hold most precious,” Rudy Adler, co-founder of 1000memories, said in a statement. “We’re excited to expand our reach to Ancestry.com’s millions of users and help them share and preserve their family stories in a beautiful way.”
The ShoeBox app now works with Ancestry.com profiles, allowing users to upload photos directly to their accounts.
“1000memories has built a popular way for people to capture and share their memories,” said Eric Shoup, Executive Vice President of Product for Ancestry.com. “The addition of the 1000memories team, their website and the Shoebox mobile app provides a powerful boost to Ancestry.com’s mission of empowering our users to discover, preserve, and share their family histories.”
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dave Ramsey says: You can have a wedding...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- Everything you need to know about year-end...
- Appalachia grasps for hope as coal loses its...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Governor proposes pay raise for state liquor...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 35
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Clinton proposes $275 billion in new... 9
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 7
- Obama shops at Washington bookstore,... 5
- Zuckerberg and wife, in letter to new... 5
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and... 4
- Utahns urged to shift spending during... 4