GLAZED MAPLE PECAN COOKIES
Sweet, buttery, and light, these melt-in-your-mouth cookies dipped in a maple syrup glaze are great for delivering to neighbors or snacking on while making Thanksgiving dinner.
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife
1⁄4 cup cornstarch
1 cup butter, softened
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (see Tip)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon real maple syrup
1–2 tablespoons milk
Additional chopped or halved pecans for garnish, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Whisk flour and cornstarch together and set aside.
3. Mix together butter and sugars at medium speed until creamy. Add egg yolk and maple flavoring, beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour and cornstarch mixture and toasted pecans. Measure dough by the scant tablespoonful and shape into balls. Place dough balls on baking sheets and press down lightly with fingers or the flat bottom of a drinking glass until dough is about 1/2-inch thick. Bake 9–12 minutes or until cookies puff and are very light golden brown.
4. For the glaze: Combine butter, powdered sugar, and maple syrup in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add enough milk to make a glaze and whisk mixture until smooth.
5. When cookies have cooled, dip tops of cookies in the glaze and allow it to drip down the sides. Garnish with pecan halves or chopped pecans, if desired.
Tip: To toast pecans, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread chopped pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 5 minutes and then stir to redistribute nuts. Bake an additional 2–5 minutes, watching closely so nuts don’t burn. Remove from oven when light parts of nuts are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
— "Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites," by Sara Wells and Kate Jones (Deseret Book)
Kaylene Morrill Wheeler is a freelance writer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- 9 Mormon moments in Sundance Film Festival...
- Cumberbatch, Fry, others urge UK to pardon...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Utahn Scott Mitchell weighs in one last time...
- Pay Dirt is an immersive board game about...
- From the Homefront: The good game: video...
- Whitney Houston's daughter found unresponsive...