Latest poll: Mia Love pulls ahead of Jim Matheson in 4th District race
"Mr. Matheson came across as more knowledgeable, but she takes the issues of Mitt Romney," Jones said of Love.
Love appears to be sharpening her message to voters with just five weeks before the election, taking aim at Matheson's mantra that he puts Utah first and reinforcing her allegiance to the Romney-Ryan ticket.
"We thought we knew Jim Matheson, but the truth is Jim Matheson doesn't know us," Love said Monday at her first news conference since announcing her congressional bid in January.
Matheson has a "terrible" track record and has not been a check and balance on President Barack Obama on critical issues, particular when it comes to federal spending.
"Jim says he's an independent voice. The problem is that on big issues, issues that are important to Utah voters, Jim has either been silent, not led or been on the sidelines until the decision has been made and often has been on the wrong side of Utah," she said.
Matheson said his voting record reflects fiscal responsibility and taking on the federal deficit.
He listed several GOP-supported measures including Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz's cut, cap and balance bill, the "super committee" created to find $1.5 trillion in cuts over 10 years and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan's line-item veto legislation.
Matheson said he has "wonderful" relationship with Utah voters to advance the interest of the state.
"When it comes to voting in the 4th Congressional race, the people are going to be choosing between me and my opponent. There's a presidential race on the ballot and then there's a congressional race on the ballot. I am not Barack Obama and my opponent is not Mitt Romney," Matheson said.
According to the Jones poll, voters have a slightly higher favorable impression of Matheson than they do of Love, but that is balanced out by his higher unfavorable impression as well.
Love does better with both women, 51 percent to 41 percent, and men, 48 percent to 46 percent, the poll shows.
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22