Latest poll: Mia Love pulls ahead of Jim Matheson in 4th District race
"Mr. Matheson came across as more knowledgeable, but she takes the issues of Mitt Romney," Jones said of Love.
Love appears to be sharpening her message to voters with just five weeks before the election, taking aim at Matheson's mantra that he puts Utah first and reinforcing her allegiance to the Romney-Ryan ticket.
"We thought we knew Jim Matheson, but the truth is Jim Matheson doesn't know us," Love said Monday at her first news conference since announcing her congressional bid in January.
Matheson has a "terrible" track record and has not been a check and balance on President Barack Obama on critical issues, particular when it comes to federal spending.
"Jim says he's an independent voice. The problem is that on big issues, issues that are important to Utah voters, Jim has either been silent, not led or been on the sidelines until the decision has been made and often has been on the wrong side of Utah," she said.
Matheson said his voting record reflects fiscal responsibility and taking on the federal deficit.
He listed several GOP-supported measures including Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz's cut, cap and balance bill, the "super committee" created to find $1.5 trillion in cuts over 10 years and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan's line-item veto legislation.
Matheson said he has "wonderful" relationship with Utah voters to advance the interest of the state.
"When it comes to voting in the 4th Congressional race, the people are going to be choosing between me and my opponent. There's a presidential race on the ballot and then there's a congressional race on the ballot. I am not Barack Obama and my opponent is not Mitt Romney," Matheson said.
According to the Jones poll, voters have a slightly higher favorable impression of Matheson than they do of Love, but that is balanced out by his higher unfavorable impression as well.
Love does better with both women, 51 percent to 41 percent, and men, 48 percent to 46 percent, the poll shows.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15