USU tennis: McKenzie Davis named WAC Women's Tennis Player of the Month
After winning both singles and doubles titles at the Jack Taylor Classic at Boise State last weekend, Utah State sophomore McKenzie Davis has been named Player of the Month by the Western Athletic Conference.
The award was announced by the conference Monday afternoon.
Davis had a 7-1 singles record for the month of September, with her one loss in the finals of the blue flight at the BYU Invitational. Davis recovered from her finals loss and rallied at the Jack Taylor Classic where she won all her matches in straight sets, defeating opponents from Eastern Washington, Seattle and Boise State.
In doubles play, Davis teamed with senior Jaci West to go 4-0 in the month, including an 8-3 win to capture the doubles title over host Sandy Vo and Marlena Pietzuch from Boise State at the Jack Taylor Classic.
This is Davis' first time being honored as WAC Player of the Month.
Almudena Sanz (Idaho), Ginet Pinero (New Mexico State) and Anna Lambert (Seattle) were also nominated this month.
Idaho's Abid Akbar won the men's honor, while Luis Ramirez (New Mexico State), Kyle Rapp (Seattle) and USU's Sven Poslusny were the other nominees.
The USU women will be conclude their fall season at ITA Regionals in Las Vegas starting Wednesday, Oct. 10.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25