USU tennis: McKenzie Davis named WAC Women's Tennis Player of the Month
After winning both singles and doubles titles at the Jack Taylor Classic at Boise State last weekend, Utah State sophomore McKenzie Davis has been named Player of the Month by the Western Athletic Conference.
The award was announced by the conference Monday afternoon.
Davis had a 7-1 singles record for the month of September, with her one loss in the finals of the blue flight at the BYU Invitational. Davis recovered from her finals loss and rallied at the Jack Taylor Classic where she won all her matches in straight sets, defeating opponents from Eastern Washington, Seattle and Boise State.
In doubles play, Davis teamed with senior Jaci West to go 4-0 in the month, including an 8-3 win to capture the doubles title over host Sandy Vo and Marlena Pietzuch from Boise State at the Jack Taylor Classic.
This is Davis' first time being honored as WAC Player of the Month.
Almudena Sanz (Idaho), Ginet Pinero (New Mexico State) and Anna Lambert (Seattle) were also nominated this month.
Idaho's Abid Akbar won the men's honor, while Luis Ramirez (New Mexico State), Kyle Rapp (Seattle) and USU's Sven Poslusny were the other nominees.
The USU women will be conclude their fall season at ITA Regionals in Las Vegas starting Wednesday, Oct. 10.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13