USU tennis: McKenzie Davis named WAC Women's Tennis Player of the Month
After winning both singles and doubles titles at the Jack Taylor Classic at Boise State last weekend, Utah State sophomore McKenzie Davis has been named Player of the Month by the Western Athletic Conference.
The award was announced by the conference Monday afternoon.
Davis had a 7-1 singles record for the month of September, with her one loss in the finals of the blue flight at the BYU Invitational. Davis recovered from her finals loss and rallied at the Jack Taylor Classic where she won all her matches in straight sets, defeating opponents from Eastern Washington, Seattle and Boise State.
In doubles play, Davis teamed with senior Jaci West to go 4-0 in the month, including an 8-3 win to capture the doubles title over host Sandy Vo and Marlena Pietzuch from Boise State at the Jack Taylor Classic.
This is Davis' first time being honored as WAC Player of the Month.
Almudena Sanz (Idaho), Ginet Pinero (New Mexico State) and Anna Lambert (Seattle) were also nominated this month.
Idaho's Abid Akbar won the men's honor, while Luis Ramirez (New Mexico State), Kyle Rapp (Seattle) and USU's Sven Poslusny were the other nominees.
The USU women will be conclude their fall season at ITA Regionals in Las Vegas starting Wednesday, Oct. 10.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36