Police seek woman in connection with abuse of 2-month-old baby
SALT LAKE COUNTY — A 44-year-old Riverton woman has been charged with abuse that caused permanent brain injury to a 2-month-old infant she was babysitting.
Madina Osman was charged with two counts of second-degree felony child abuse Monday in 3rd District Court.
According to charging documents, Osman was alone in her home at 558 N. Redwood Road caring for her niece's 2-month-old daughter on Sept. 22 while the mother was at work. Osman had been caring for the baby, as well as her niece's other children since Sept. 8.
In a phone call about 8:30 p.m., Osman told the mother that the baby appeared to be ill, having seizures and her legs were stiff, charges state.
A physician at Primary Children's Medical Center revealed the infant had suffered severe traumatic brain injuries, including subdural and subarachnoid hemorrhaging and diffused anoxic damage. The child also showed evidence of healing rib fractures and previous bleeding in the brain, according to the charges.
The injuries were likely caused by violent rotational force and other means of injury, doctors indicated.
According to court documents, the infant was not expected to survive. She was placed on life support and is not expected to recover normal neurological function.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15