Police seek woman in connection with abuse of 2-month-old baby
SALT LAKE COUNTY — A 44-year-old Riverton woman has been charged with abuse that caused permanent brain injury to a 2-month-old infant she was babysitting.
Madina Osman was charged with two counts of second-degree felony child abuse Monday in 3rd District Court.
According to charging documents, Osman was alone in her home at 558 N. Redwood Road caring for her niece's 2-month-old daughter on Sept. 22 while the mother was at work. Osman had been caring for the baby, as well as her niece's other children since Sept. 8.
In a phone call about 8:30 p.m., Osman told the mother that the baby appeared to be ill, having seizures and her legs were stiff, charges state.
A physician at Primary Children's Medical Center revealed the infant had suffered severe traumatic brain injuries, including subdural and subarachnoid hemorrhaging and diffused anoxic damage. The child also showed evidence of healing rib fractures and previous bleeding in the brain, according to the charges.
The injuries were likely caused by violent rotational force and other means of injury, doctors indicated.
According to court documents, the infant was not expected to survive. She was placed on life support and is not expected to recover normal neurological function.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10