Utah State soccer: Natalie Norris named WAC Soccer Defensive Player of the Week
Utah State soccer senior Natalie Norris was named the Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week; the league announced on Monday.
This was Norris’ third career WAC Player of the Week honor after winning the award earlier this season and once in 2010. Senior Ashlyn Mulford is the only other Aggie to be honored by the WAC this season, winning Goalkeeper of the Week three times.
Norris, a senior defender from Sandy, Utah (Alta HS), was the anchor of the Utah State defense as the Aggies earned a pair of 0-0 double overtime ties at New Mexico State and at No. 18 Denver. Norris was the key to the defense as USU used different goalkeepers in both matches. Against the Pioneers, the USU backline faced 24 shots against one of the toughest offenses in the WAC. In two matches, the Aggie defense faced 36 shots in 220 minutes without allowing a goal. Norris played every minute of both matches last week.
Denver’s Kaitlyn Bast earned the WAC’s Offensive Player of the Week, tallying four points in a win against San Jose State. The Pioneers Lara Campbell was named WAC Goalkeeper of the Week. Campbell gave DU 172 shutout minutes in goal last week.
Utah State (5-2-6) returns home this week for its WAC home opener. The Aggies will take on UTSA on Friday, Oct. 5 at 3 p.m., while facing Texas State on Sunday, Oct. 7 at 1 p.m. Both the Roadrunners and the Bobcats have made one appearance at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field. UTSA is 0-1-0 in Logan, while Texas State is 0-0-1.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26