Utah State football: QB Chuckie Keeton named WAC Offensive Player of the Week
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton has been named the Western Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week it was announced by the league office Monday following his performance in leading the Aggies to a 35-13 Homecoming win against UNLV Saturday night.
Keeton was also named College Sports Madness’ WAC Offensive Player of the Week on Sunday.
It is the second time this season and third time in his career Keeton has been named the WAC’s Offensive Player of the Week. He also won the award following USU’s 27-20 overtime win at home against Utah. His first honor came in 2011 after leading Utah State past Wyoming, 63-19.
Keeton, a 6-foot-1, 200 pound sophomore from Houston, Texas, (Cypress Creek HS) completed 21-of-34 passes for a career-high 404 yards against the Rebels, as those 34 pass attempts ties his career-high. Keeton also had four touchdown passes in the game, the second-most of his career, to go along with four rushing yards on six carries. The 404 passing yards for Keeton rank as the 10th-most in school history and the most by an Aggie quarterback since 2002.
On the season, Keeton ranks first in the WAC and 27th in the nation in total offense (297.4 ypg), fifth in the WAC and 26th in the nation in passing efficiency (156.4), fourth in the WAC and 37th in the nation in passing (256.2 ypg), and eighth in the WAC in rushing (41.2 ypg).
Utah State (4-1) is off to its best start since 1978. USU has won nine of its last 11 games dating back to 2011 including each of its last five at home.
Utah State plays its third in-state opponent of the season this weekend as it travels to Provo to face BYU on Friday, Oct. 5 at 8:15 p.m.
For USU football ticket information, contact the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or call 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305. Tickets can also be purchased 24 hours a day on the USU website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28