The Time article is accompanied by a sidebar about the Washington, D.C., 3rd Ward, the ward to which the Romneys would be assigned should they occupy the large white residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. In it, writer Elizabeth Dias asks Bishop Robert Nelson, lay leader of the congregation, "who would bring the requisite casserole to Ann Romney if she were to get the flu in the White House."
"I can imagine wanting to bring the casserole," Bishop Nelson said, chuckling. "But then you have to go through security, and at some point you go, 'The casserole just isn't worth it. Call for carryout.'"
Washington Post reporter Michelle Boorstein recently visited the 3rd Ward and found that there are mixed feelings about the possibility of having Mitt and Ann Romney in the ward.
"I hope he doesn't end up making that move," Corban Tillemann-Dick told Boorstein. "But if he does, I'd welcome him with open arms."
It should be noted that Tilleman-Dick works phone banks for the Barack Obama re-election campaign.
"They're mostly Democrats," Boorstein wrote of the LDS ward that could possibly be the home ward for the Romneys for the next four-to-eight years. "But the 3rd Ward congregants don't seem inclined to hold a grudge."
For example, Tilleman-Dick said he would love to be the Romneys' "home teacher" — an assignment almost all active Mormons have to visit and assist other members in the ward.
"I think the Romneys would be happy in our ward and definitely welcomed," said attorney and ward member Robin Lunt. "But it would be very different."
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 10