The Time article is accompanied by a sidebar about the Washington, D.C., 3rd Ward, the ward to which the Romneys would be assigned should they occupy the large white residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. In it, writer Elizabeth Dias asks Bishop Robert Nelson, lay leader of the congregation, "who would bring the requisite casserole to Ann Romney if she were to get the flu in the White House."
"I can imagine wanting to bring the casserole," Bishop Nelson said, chuckling. "But then you have to go through security, and at some point you go, 'The casserole just isn't worth it. Call for carryout.'"
Washington Post reporter Michelle Boorstein recently visited the 3rd Ward and found that there are mixed feelings about the possibility of having Mitt and Ann Romney in the ward.
"I hope he doesn't end up making that move," Corban Tillemann-Dick told Boorstein. "But if he does, I'd welcome him with open arms."
It should be noted that Tilleman-Dick works phone banks for the Barack Obama re-election campaign.
"They're mostly Democrats," Boorstein wrote of the LDS ward that could possibly be the home ward for the Romneys for the next four-to-eight years. "But the 3rd Ward congregants don't seem inclined to hold a grudge."
For example, Tilleman-Dick said he would love to be the Romneys' "home teacher" — an assignment almost all active Mormons have to visit and assist other members in the ward.
"I think the Romneys would be happy in our ward and definitely welcomed," said attorney and ward member Robin Lunt. "But it would be very different."
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 109
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 31
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 13
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks... 8