Elderly man killed in auto-pedestrian accident in Sunset
SUNSET — An 85-year-old man was hit and killed by a car while attempting to cross a busy street early Monday.
Just before 7 a.m., Sunset resident Darrel Thompson was crossing Main near 2300 North against the light and not in a crosswalk, said Sunset Police Lt. Bruce Arbogast.
A driver apparently did not see Thompson on the dark road and hit him, Arbogast said.
"He's been around for years," Arbogast said. "I've seen him walking every morning. (It) made this one a little harder because I did know who he was."
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene. The speed limit on the heavily traveled road is 45 mph.
Thompson lived alone. Investigators believe he was crossing the street in an attempt to get to a bus stop.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 35
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22
- Government regulation has become like... 22