Elderly man killed in auto-pedestrian accident in Sunset
SUNSET — An 85-year-old man was hit and killed by a car while attempting to cross a busy street early Monday.
Just before 7 a.m., Sunset resident Darrel Thompson was crossing Main near 2300 North against the light and not in a crosswalk, said Sunset Police Lt. Bruce Arbogast.
A driver apparently did not see Thompson on the dark road and hit him, Arbogast said.
"He's been around for years," Arbogast said. "I've seen him walking every morning. (It) made this one a little harder because I did know who he was."
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene. The speed limit on the heavily traveled road is 45 mph.
Thompson lived alone. Investigators believe he was crossing the street in an attempt to get to a bus stop.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Utah bus drivers put safety to the test
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 27
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 26
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12