Elderly man killed in auto-pedestrian accident in Sunset
SUNSET — An 85-year-old man was hit and killed by a car while attempting to cross a busy street early Monday.
Just before 7 a.m., Sunset resident Darrel Thompson was crossing Main near 2300 North against the light and not in a crosswalk, said Sunset Police Lt. Bruce Arbogast.
A driver apparently did not see Thompson on the dark road and hit him, Arbogast said.
"He's been around for years," Arbogast said. "I've seen him walking every morning. (It) made this one a little harder because I did know who he was."
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene. The speed limit on the heavily traveled road is 45 mph.
Thompson lived alone. Investigators believe he was crossing the street in an attempt to get to a bus stop.
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- First prison relocation open house... 39
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 29
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 19
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13