Elderly man killed in auto-pedestrian accident in Sunset
SUNSET — An 85-year-old man was hit and killed by a car while attempting to cross a busy street early Monday.
Just before 7 a.m., Sunset resident Darrel Thompson was crossing Main near 2300 North against the light and not in a crosswalk, said Sunset Police Lt. Bruce Arbogast.
A driver apparently did not see Thompson on the dark road and hit him, Arbogast said.
"He's been around for years," Arbogast said. "I've seen him walking every morning. (It) made this one a little harder because I did know who he was."
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene. The speed limit on the heavily traveled road is 45 mph.
Thompson lived alone. Investigators believe he was crossing the street in an attempt to get to a bus stop.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15