Troy Cabibi sentenced to 240 months in federal prison in shooting of South Jordan police officer
SALT LAKE CITY — The man convicted of shooting a South Jordan police officer has been sentenced to 20 years in federal prison.
Troy Cabibi, 31, was sentenced Friday in federal court to 240 months in federal prison for shooting officer Stevan Gerber on Aug. 26, 2010.
Cabibi was also ordered to pay nearly $133,000 in restitution for his convictions on charges of assault on a federal officer, using a gun during a crime of violence and being a restricted person in possession of a firearm.
Gerber and the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team were attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Cabibi for state parole violations. Cabibi used a .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun to shoot at officers in the doorway of his South Salt Lake apartment, 3064 S. 300 East, striking Gerber in the leg.
As part of the plea deal, Cabibi had to admit he caused "a life-threatening injury which has caused permanent damage," according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney for Utah.
Cabibi was previously convicted for shooting and killing a 21-year-old man in July 1998 in front of a Midvale convenience store. He was 17 at the time of shooting. He pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of manslaughter in 1999 and was sentenced to serve up to 15 years at the Utah State Prison.
Cabibi was first paroled in September 2008. He violated his parole four months later and was sent back to the prison. He was paroled again in July 2009.
Gerber has since returned to working patrol for South Jordan police and hopes to be part of the SWAT or JCAT teams again.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Groups petition for gun bans from school...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 27