SANDY — City Councilman Bryant Anderson recently announced his retirement from the city's governing body.
For more than 27 years, Anderson has served on the Sandy City Council. He and his wife, Sharren, plan to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the San Bernardino, Calif., area later this fall.
Anderson said leaving during his term was not what he had planned, but it was time to serve in another capacity.
"It's very hard to leave during my term, but there are some good people in Sandy who will be able to step up and fill that void," he said. "I'm confident that Sandy will continue to prosper."
Anderson helped form the Alta Canyon Recreation District, which built the first major parks in Sandy. He also supported development of the South Towne Expo Center and the Sandy Auto Mall.
Anderson has been a strong supporter of the arts, including Mountain West Ballet and the American West Symphony and Chorus. He said helping bring the Living Planet Aquarium to Sandy and helping secure the bond to build the Sandy Amphitheater are some of his proudest undertakings.
Due to Anderson's resignation, a pending vacancy will exist on the City Council effective Oct. 10. Those interested in submitting their name for consideration to fill the vacancy must be a qualified voter in Sandy; a resident of the city for the previous 12 calendar months, or be a resident of a territory that has been annexed into Sandy for the previous 12 calendar months; and reside in City Council District 3.
Qualified individuals must submit a resume and a written letter of application certifying compliance with the above qualifying criteria to: Philip Glenn, Director City Council Office, Suite 231, Sandy City Hall, 10000 South Centennial Parkway, Sandy, UT 84070, by 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 11.
The council will consider the applications, perform interviews and fill the vacancy on Tuesday, Oct. 16.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 37
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 23
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18