Sixty-eight percent of Americans feel it would be somewhat to very difficult to get by if a paycheck were a week or more late, which means more than two-thirds are living paycheck to paycheck, according to The Christian Science Monitor, citing a survey by the American Payroll Association.
While living from paycheck to paycheck can be a hard habit to break, several steps can help break the cycle, wrote Angela Colley, a writer for Money Talks News.
Step 1: Set long-term goals
This involves looking into a realistic budget and setting financial goals for yourself. Goals can include starting an emergency fund, improving your credit score or saving money for a necessity down the road. This provides direction that better guides your spending choices.
Step 2: Budget for savings
In addition to tracking all expenses for the upcoming month, set aside some money for savings.
Step 3: Keep track of your spending
Small stuff adds up fast. Use spreadsheets or other software to track your expenses so you know what spending you can eliminate or reduce.
Step 4: Cut replaceable expenses
Cable TV, gym memberships and magazine subscriptions are just some of many luxuries that could be replaced by free or cheaper alternatives. The money saved could go toward paying down a loan or into a vacation fund.
Step 5: Having fun doesn’t always cost money
Go to a nearby tourism office and make a list of the free activities that are offered locally.
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of...
- 4 charged in year-long copper thefts at Utah...
- Google taking steps toward robot creation
- Chamber of Commerce ads to run in Idaho, West...
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view milestone;...
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 21
- Intermountain Healthcare offering... 15
- Start thinking about retirement while... 7
- Obama to feds: Boost renewable power 20... 6
- Amazon's latest idea may make online... 6
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday... 5
- About Utah: A cheesy way to save the farm 4