STANSBURY PARK — Two brine shrimp fishermen were burned in a fire early Monday while preparing to go out on the Great Salt Lake.
Just after 7 a.m., two men, ages 47 and 29, were preparing to take their boat onto the lake when they couldn't get the engine to start, said Tooele County sheriff's deputy Keith Borders.
Gas fumes were believed to have built up in the small enclosed area while the men were looking at the motor. When two wires were put together in an effort to start the boat, the spark ignited the fumes and caused a flash fire, Borders said.
The older man, from Tooele, suffered second- and third-degree burns over about 25 percent of his body, mainly his arms, hands and face. He was flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital.
The younger man had his face singed, Borders said. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital.
The conditions of the men were not immediately available.
Updates will be posted as they become available.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9