Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — When thinking about his revamped team, Gordon Hayward couldn't help but be excited to consider all the player combinations and possibilities the Utah Jazz will have this season.
The third-year pro, like many in the organization, believes the Jazz are talented and deep at each position.
"If we're going to have a problem, I think that's a good problem to have," Hayward said. "There's going to be competition for minutes, and that's just going to make everyone else better."
That competition for minutes begins Tuesday when the Jazz start their training camp with two-a-days at the Zions Bank Baskeball Center. (The competition for quotes begins this afternoon at the annual Media Day.)
Here's a look at the 18 players currently on the Jazz's roster heading into the preseason (with the reminder that Raja Bell remains under contract but won't be at camp):
• Raja Bell (6-5, 210, 13th season): Disgruntled veteran wants out of Utah, but upon an agreement by his camp and the Jazz, he won't participate in camp while his future is decided.
• Alec Burks# (6-6, 202, 2nd season): Expect the energetic shooting guard, who made a splash with a 31-point game and first-team recognition in summer league, to earn more consistent time in sophomore stint.
• Randy Foye# (6-4, 213, 7th season): Strong defender, good shooter, versatile backcourt veteran has a great attitude, calling Utah "the perfect place for me to take my career as a basketball player to the next level."
• Kevin Murphy (6-6, 185, rookie): Jazz love Tennessee Tech product's ability to score, but their second-round pick will need to develop on all-around game to get playing time.
• Chris Quinn (6-2, 175, 6th season): This point guard, with connections to GM Dennis Lindsey from their Spurs days and 234 games under his belt, surprisingly has more NBA appearances than half of the roster.
• Jamaal Tinsley# (6-3, 197, 10th season): After proving he can still play in the league in his second-chance season of 2011-12, the playmaker will be relied upon for veteran leadership in a reserve role.
• Earl Watson (6-1, 199, 12th season): Gutsy guard is still rehabbing his surgically repaired knee, so it remains to be seen how quickly he'll be able to return at full speed and whether or not he'll move ahead of Tinsley on the depth chart.
• Mo Williams* (6-1, 195, 10th season): Kevin O'Connor considers letting this former Jazz player leave the fold to be one of the biggest mistakes in his career, so the organization is thrilled to have the one-time All-Star back running the show in Devin Harris' place.
• DeMarre Carroll# (6-8, 212, 4th season): Small forward, who made things happen with hustle in fill-in starter role last year, sounds ready to prove himself again, according to a Sunday post on Twitter, "Bout to get these shots up.. Training camp in two days..#Hungry."
• Jeremy Evans (6-9, 194, 3rd season): NBA Dunk Champ didn't get much playing time last year, but he's obviously in the franchise's future plans after receiving a three-year deal this offseason.
• Derrick Favors* (6-10, 248, 3rd season): The Jazz's best player in the playoffs last spring, this powerful and athletic power forward is brimming with potential that should be tapped ASAP.
• Trey Gilder (6-9, 189, 2nd season): Jazz didn't add him to the roster after his short training camp with them last year, but the athletic forward impressed them enough to earn a return invitation.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 49
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29