USU tennis: Davis captures women's tennis title at Jack Taylor Classic Sunday
Carrying on her momentum of the weekend, Utah State sophomore McKenzie Davis was named the Blue Flight champion at the Boise State-hosted Jack Taylor Classic, Sunday.
Davis defeated Marlena Pietzuch from host Boise State in straight-sets (6-1, 6-4) to take the title, improving to 7-1 individually this season. Davis took second place at last week’s BYU Invitational.
Just hours before her singles win, Davis, paired with senior Jaci West, took the doubles action title in the Blue Flight. The duo took down Pietzuch and her partner, Sandy Vo in a quick 8-3 win.
The Aggies also saw success in the consolation rounds of the invitational, with two players winning the draws. Senior Kristina Voytsekovich defeated Char Hjalmarsson from Montana State in the final round of the Blue Flight consolation, (6-0, 6-3). In the Orange Flight final, senior Julie Tukuafu eliminated fellow Aggie, freshman Amber Stuhlmann in three sets, (6-4, 4-6, 10-6).
Utah State will conclude fall play at the ITA Regionals tournament next week in Las Vegas. Action will begin Oct. 10 at the Darling Tennis Center.
Jack Taylor Classic Day Three Blue Flight – Singles Finals McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
Blue Flight – Doubles Finals West/Davis (USU) def. Vo/Pietzuch (BSU) 8-3
Blue Flight – Singles Consolation Finals Kristina Voytsekovich (USU) def. Char Hjalmarsson (MSU) 6-0, 6-3
Orange Flight – Singles Consolation Finals Julie Tukuafu (USU) def. Amber Stuhlmann (USU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 35
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19