BYU tennis: freshman Maddox advances in Cal Nike Invitational
PROVO, Utah – Freshman BYU tennis player Mackenna Maddox advanced to the semifinals of the Cal Nike Invitational in Berekely, Calif., on Saturday, and two other Cougars from the women’s team earned their way to the quarterfinals.
“We are all headed in the right direction but have room to improve,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer. “Mackenna had a great weekend and played with a lot of heart.”
Maddox won her first match of the tournament by beating Blair Reed from South Florida, 6-2, 6-0. Her next victory came over Nevada’s Sheila Smiley, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0. In the quarterfinals, Maddox squeaked her way past Bianca Modoc from Fresno State, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Junior Desiree Tran and sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon played together in the doubles round and beat their first opponents, Katharina Knoebl and Sophil Lohscheidt from Sacramento, 8-4. The pair fell in the quarterfinal round to Cal’s Annett Schutting and Annie Goransson, 8-4.
The two BYU seniors travelled to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Jack Taylor Classic. Aubrey Paul started off strong by topping Seattle’s Lindsey Newman, 6-2, 6-3, but lost the next round to Morgan Basil from Boise State, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.
Andie Young also won her first match of the tournament, 6-1, 6-0, over Weber State’s Carly Lloyd. After falling 6-2, 6-2 to Montana’s Mackenzie Rozell in the next round, Young defeated Utah State’s Ashley Stuhlmann in the conosolation bracket, 6-0, 6-3.
The Cougars will spend the next week preparing for Regionals which begins Oct. 10.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennissports information director at BYU.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 32
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23