BYU tennis: freshman Maddox advances in Cal Nike Invitational
PROVO, Utah – Freshman BYU tennis player Mackenna Maddox advanced to the semifinals of the Cal Nike Invitational in Berekely, Calif., on Saturday, and two other Cougars from the women’s team earned their way to the quarterfinals.
“We are all headed in the right direction but have room to improve,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer. “Mackenna had a great weekend and played with a lot of heart.”
Maddox won her first match of the tournament by beating Blair Reed from South Florida, 6-2, 6-0. Her next victory came over Nevada’s Sheila Smiley, 6-3, 2-6, 6-0. In the quarterfinals, Maddox squeaked her way past Bianca Modoc from Fresno State, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Junior Desiree Tran and sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon played together in the doubles round and beat their first opponents, Katharina Knoebl and Sophil Lohscheidt from Sacramento, 8-4. The pair fell in the quarterfinal round to Cal’s Annett Schutting and Annie Goransson, 8-4.
The two BYU seniors travelled to Boise, Idaho, to compete in the Jack Taylor Classic. Aubrey Paul started off strong by topping Seattle’s Lindsey Newman, 6-2, 6-3, but lost the next round to Morgan Basil from Boise State, 6-1, 3-6, 6-4.
Andie Young also won her first match of the tournament, 6-1, 6-0, over Weber State’s Carly Lloyd. After falling 6-2, 6-2 to Montana’s Mackenzie Rozell in the next round, Young defeated Utah State’s Ashley Stuhlmann in the conosolation bracket, 6-0, 6-3.
The Cougars will spend the next week preparing for Regionals which begins Oct. 10.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennissports information director at BYU.
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 46
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27