BYU softball: Cougars wins both games to start the fall season
PROVO, Utah - The BYU softball team beat Southern Idaho 9-8 and Weber State 3-2 Saturday night at Gail Miller Field in its fall season opener.
“It was nice to battle and get two wins,” head coach Gordon Eakin said. “We played everybody. We had a couple of key players out, but we have a long way to go to bring this team together because we lack experience.”
In the first game, Southern Idaho scored early to grab the 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
BYU struck back quickly in the bottom of the inning, adding four runs on three hits. JC Clayton and Madisen Robb each had singles, while Marissa Bravo earned her first hit as a Cougar with a triple to bring in the first run of the game.
With bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth, BYU took advantage of some Golden Eagle errors to push in three runs and extend the lead to five.
Southern Idaho came back with three runs of their own in the top of the sixth inning and continued the rally in the top of the seventh to add three runs on three hits for the one-run lead at 8-7.
With one runner on in the bottom of the inning, Katie Manuma stepped up for her first hit of the night, blasting a triple to bring in the tying run. Manuma then scored on a throwing error to home for the 9-8 walk-off win.
In game two against Weber State the Cougars struck first in the bottom of the second. With runners on second and third, Clayton ripped the ball to the second baseman to bring in the first run of the game.
BYU scored one more run in the bottom of the third on another Manuma triple and a sacrifice fly from Carly Duckworth, but Weber State fought back to even the score in the top of the fourth.
The Cougars brought in one more run in the bottom of the fourth and held on to earn the 3-2 victory.
BYU will play Snow College next at home on Oct. 12 at 6 p.m. MDT.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes...
- High school track: Boys championship results...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 75
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 66
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 22
- BYU, Ute baseball: Cougars come back... 21