BYU softball: Cougars wins both games to start the fall season
PROVO, Utah - The BYU softball team beat Southern Idaho 9-8 and Weber State 3-2 Saturday night at Gail Miller Field in its fall season opener.
“It was nice to battle and get two wins,” head coach Gordon Eakin said. “We played everybody. We had a couple of key players out, but we have a long way to go to bring this team together because we lack experience.”
In the first game, Southern Idaho scored early to grab the 2-0 lead in the top of the first.
BYU struck back quickly in the bottom of the inning, adding four runs on three hits. JC Clayton and Madisen Robb each had singles, while Marissa Bravo earned her first hit as a Cougar with a triple to bring in the first run of the game.
With bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth, BYU took advantage of some Golden Eagle errors to push in three runs and extend the lead to five.
Southern Idaho came back with three runs of their own in the top of the sixth inning and continued the rally in the top of the seventh to add three runs on three hits for the one-run lead at 8-7.
With one runner on in the bottom of the inning, Katie Manuma stepped up for her first hit of the night, blasting a triple to bring in the tying run. Manuma then scored on a throwing error to home for the 9-8 walk-off win.
In game two against Weber State the Cougars struck first in the bottom of the second. With runners on second and third, Clayton ripped the ball to the second baseman to bring in the first run of the game.
BYU scored one more run in the bottom of the third on another Manuma triple and a sacrifice fly from Carly Duckworth, but Weber State fought back to even the score in the top of the fourth.
The Cougars brought in one more run in the bottom of the fourth and held on to earn the 3-2 victory.
BYU will play Snow College next at home on Oct. 12 at 6 p.m. MDT.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25