Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LOGAN — The streak is over for Utah State’s defense. The Aggies allowed their first touchdown in the first half this season on a UNLV 3-yard touchdown pass from Nick Sherry to Max Johnson with 10:45 left in the second quarter to give the Rebels a 7-3 lead. Prior to the touchdown Utah State had only allowed three field goals in the first half of their previous four games.
Trailing for only the second time this season, however, the USU offense quickly responded with touchdowns on their next two drives. Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton hit tight end D.J. Tialavea from a yard out and then found Chuck Jacobs for a 50-yard bomb on the following drive to give Utah State a 17-7 lead. Utah State marched down the field right before halftime to add a field goal and move the score to 20-7 at the half.
Keeton finished the half with 242 yards through the air to go with his two touchdown tosses. Las Vegas-native Kerwynn Williams led the Aggies in rushing at halftime with 50 yards while adding another six catches for 73 yards.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26