Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LOGAN — The streak is over for Utah State’s defense. The Aggies allowed their first touchdown in the first half this season on a UNLV 3-yard touchdown pass from Nick Sherry to Max Johnson with 10:45 left in the second quarter to give the Rebels a 7-3 lead. Prior to the touchdown Utah State had only allowed three field goals in the first half of their previous four games.
Trailing for only the second time this season, however, the USU offense quickly responded with touchdowns on their next two drives. Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton hit tight end D.J. Tialavea from a yard out and then found Chuck Jacobs for a 50-yard bomb on the following drive to give Utah State a 17-7 lead. Utah State marched down the field right before halftime to add a field goal and move the score to 20-7 at the half.
Keeton finished the half with 242 yards through the air to go with his two touchdown tosses. Las Vegas-native Kerwynn Williams led the Aggies in rushing at halftime with 50 yards while adding another six catches for 73 yards.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 107
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43